Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2011, 12:20 AM   #11
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Pond snails don't eat plants... at least not if they're live and healthy. They only reproduce to extreme numbers if you're overfeeding. If there's food, they naturally reproduce to consume it. If there's no food, they don't. So, essentially, if they do get to be large in numbers, it's because you're overfeeding.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:10 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All snails that are considered pests aren't bad for your tank. They only get a bad reputation because they can reproduce quickly, especially if you overfeed your fish (as mfdrookie516 said).

I personally am not the biggest fan of two of those types of snails, pond and ramshorns. I do, however, like the third type, nicknamed MTS (malaysian trumpet snails). I just recently grabbed 12-20 of them from PetCo (gave them to me for free) and put them in my 20g tank. Since I don't overfeed my fish (I feed them every other day), I shouldn't have a quick and uncontrollable explosion of them.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, I haven't seen any new ones since the original 2 I found, so I'm not too concerned anymore. Now I'm a little disappointed I got rid of them since I'm now dealing with diatoms :P
Old 07-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

This too shall pass, though I grew diatoms on purpose for my otos, new tanks apparently go through a mad wave of the stuff and then it leaves.... Mind you how and why it leaves is a mystery to me, since mine was mowed down in 48 hours.

-Mac- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oooohhh.... Does that mean I can get some ottos? My algaes been around for a couple weeks now and shown no sign of stopping. I really wanted to get some ottos at the beginning of this fish craze, but since I hadn't seen hide nor tail of algae, I didn't think theyd be satisfied with just algae wafers. And that they die really easy. How are your ottos?
Old 07-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I love mine, they are personable little guys too. If you are weeks into an algae spread, you'd be god as long as other tank parameters are good for them. In my experience at least. My otos are happy guys
Old 07-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've heard they're great, and I really like the look of them, a lot better than plecos at least. But theyre hard to keep. If they don't eat algae wafers, then what else can I add so they're not living solely on the amount of algae in my tank? And I can add 4 in a 20g right? I'll be upgrading my 10 in the fall. They'd be with a male honey gourami, a group of Pygmy cories and 2 male platies.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #18
Look It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Mac- View Post
Heh, if Ellen's like me then snails are just oogie looking and freak her out. I get all girl-tastic about them from time to time. My DH thinks it's a hoot to hear me shriek. However, like I said, just net them out. I acquired a Malaysian Trumpet Snail when I loaded the tank last week; he, gets to stay.
I feel this way about shrimp. The snails are growing on me slowly (although I only get to see them at the PetStore right now which isn't much and there's one baby one in my tank somewhere which I think is cute), but if I get too close a look at the slimy underside my skin crawls lol The shrimp though, I couldn't imagine ever having them in my tank, I'd have nightmares about it, they give me the heebie jeebies.
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, I have never ever ever even considered shrimp. They're just way to creepy looking. And why get them if you can fish instead? Il admit there are some really neat salt water shrimp, but freshwater ones just seem wrong.
Good luck on your tank by the way librarygirl. I've been watching your threads and I'm rooting for you!

Tags
snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com