Egg Grates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldieLocks1

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I've been looking around for some information on egg grates. I am obviously very dumb because I have not got a better understanding of them!

Please can someone tell me what they are? What they do? And if I would need them in a 5ft cichlid tank with lots of heavy rocks?

Oh! And one more question...can you direct me to some if I need them. TAKE IN MIND I LIVE IN ENGLAND! :D

Thank you, I appreciate any input! :D

Try googling eggcrate louvers. They are typically used for flourescent in-ceiling fixtures to diffuse light.

Oh cool! Do people put something like egg grates on the bottom of their tank? Or is that something completely different? Thank you for answering!

Ah-ha!! Thank you. I know you've told me you don't have a tank with rocks in it, but would you recommend me buying one? Just to be on the safe side perhaps...?

The most common uses for them I think would be for frag racks and lids for a tank

Thank you. I wouldn't be needing it for that I guess ;) But do you think it would be a good idea if I had it as I will have lots of heavy rock work...? Thank you!

Honestly Ive never heard of anyone using it for that I would think you would be okay without it I have over 70 pounds of rock in one of my tanks and it seems fine

You should be able to find it at a hardware store, but you have to ask for diffuser panels, not egg crate.

i have tanks with rock and would not put rock on without it. I paid about $5 for enough for my 240. Why would you not put it in? Put in the diffuser, then the substrate and then the rock. Better safe than sorry, i say!

Arghh! Everyone is saying something different! I think I will, like you said spoonman, better safe than sorry. Thank you all very much for the advice!! :D

Yeah! I guess even if it is in there it will either make a difference or not. Thank you for helping me.

Back
Top Bottom