Eheim 2215 or 2217?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franklin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting to get together a 57 gal Amazon Cardinal Tetra tank. Since this is a slow water planted biotope I am concerned that the 2217 at close to 300 gph may be too much? The 2215 comes in at around 200 gph. I am going to split the return and come through 1" bulkheads in an effort to reduce turbulence. Any ideas?

Always go for overkill. It's easier to slow down the beefier model than it is to realize the smaller model is not cutting it. Example: put a ball valve on the output of the 2217 so you can adjust it down if needed.

Sounds good! Think by the time I split the flow and come through big outlets I won't have to throttle it back too much.

Fluval 5 or 6 series would be a better way to go. The Eheim classic series are a pain to prime and clean compared to a Fluval.

Fluval 5 or 6 series would be a better way to go. The Eheim classic series are a pain to prime and clean compared to a Fluval.

I just like Eheim pumps for the reliability. Every other pump has failed me. Pumps that have failed me: Ocean Runner, Mag Dive, Quiet One, Hydor, Sedra, Vertex, Maxi-Jet, Seio etc. Pumps that have never failed Iwaki and Eheim.

I just like Eheim pumps for the reliability. Every other pump has failed me. Pumps that have failed me: Ocean Runner, Mag Dive, Quiet One, Hydor, Sedra, Vertex, Maxi-Jet, Seio etc. Pumps that have never failed Iwaki and Eheim.

Ive never had a fluval give out on me, Ive had the same 405 for the last 8 years.

Psht, my 2217 is a breeze to prime. If you let gravity do the work, it's basically self priming.

I have a 2217 on a 40 breeder. It's really not as much as you would think. I really wouldn't want anything less on it though.

aqua_chem said:
Psht, my 2217 is a breeze to prime. If you let gravity do the work, it's basically self priming.

I have a 2217 on a 40 breeder. It's really not as much as you would think. I really wouldn't want anything less on it though.

Basically? I have a 2217 and a fluval 406 and with out a doubt the fluval is a much better filter IMHO

Basically? I have a 2217 and a fluval 406 and with out a doubt the fluval is a much better filter IMHO

It take 10 seconds to prime itself. If it takes more than that, you're doing something wrong. Also, the 406 has, what, 30% more GPH? It's an not really a fair comparison.

Eheims are widely regarded as quieter and more reliable than fluval canisters. They usually cost more, but you get what you pay for.

aqua_chem said:
It take 10 seconds to prime itself. If it takes more than that, you're doing something wrong.

I don't care how long it takes the fluval does it straight away, I do no what I am doing I just don't like it won't buy another eheim ever

As I said (and I edited my post right before you replied because I left something out), eheims are the better filter. Period. While your personal experiences might leave you favoring the fluval models, a quick google search will yield dozens of discussions that almost all point to eheims as the superior model.

aqua_chem said:
As I said (and I edited my post right before you replied because I left something out), eheims are the better filter. Period. While your personal experiences might leave you favoring the fluval models, a quick google search will yield dozens of discussions that almost all point to eheims as the superior model.

Actually I have to disagree there are actually dozens of people to agree the fluvals are much the better filter

aqua_chem said:

And a lot of the bigger experts think the eheims are a disaster waiting to happen, no doubt they are good but not as good

"Fluval will get the job done, but Eheim's are like Cadillacs" is the consensus across almost every forums. The OP can look into himself/herself as it is quite evident.

aqua_chem said:
"Fluval will get the job done, but Eheim's are like Cadillacs" is the consensus across almost every forums. The OP can look into himself/herself as it is quite evident.

Cadillacs may be classed as good in America but every were else in the world are a piece of crap in Europe they are a big big no no in cars lol so might want to pick a better one to use

Cadillacs may be classed as good in America but every were else in the world are a piece of crap in Europe they are a big big no no in cars lol so might want to pick a better one to use

I believe eheims are rockstars in Europe too, moreso than the states.

aqua_chem said:
90% of the 'experts' I see chiming in, especially on well respected forums like The Planted Tank, swear by eheims.

Well that's your opinion aint it

Yeah it will be on long lived ongoing battle between the two. Personally I own a fluval 405 and an eheim 2217 classic. And let me tell you the eheim is by far superior in every aspect it cleared the slight soot in my 55g from the aragonite sand in about a hour and a half. The fluval 405 it took days for it to do the same job in a smaller 50g tank. But. Still use and enjoy both.

Back
Top Bottom