Electric/battery operated aquarium siphon for 10gal tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a battery-operated siphon for my 10 gallon fish tank. My current siphon is a "manual", where you have to pump up and down to create friction to pump the water out. I find this to be very ineffective for actually getting debris out as it usually just creates a dust cloud.

So, I'm wondering, does anyone have some suggestions for a battery-operated aquarium siphon? My local pet store said that using them on small tanks could be dangerous, but it seems like anything would be better than my current system.

PS: Any aquarium hose recommendations?

Thanks!
Josh

I'm curious about how you are operating the siphon. I have a fully manual Aqueon siphon vac I picked up from PetSmart. It has a one way check valve, so you insert the intake tube in the tank, move it up and down about 5 or 6 times and the siphon is on.

The important thing is physical position. The output tube goes into a bucket on the floor, while the tank sits on my desk about 3 feet above the ground. That drop is enough to generate a strong siphon to move the water. Do you have enough of a physical drop from the tank to the bottom of your bucket to allow the siphon to work?

Hi kjwcpm,

Yes, I have around a 3-4 foot drop from the siphon to the bucket. However, yours seems a little more complex - mine doesn't have a check valve. The siphon itself is just a wide plastic tube, connected to a "hose" that goes into a bucket.

I'm curious, though - do most people not use electric siphons? I'm just trying to see how people effectively clean the gravel with a manual one. Perhaps mine is just too big for a 10gal.

I'm not familiar with electric ones...but hop on google and research Python and Aqueon brand water changing systems. I couldn't live without mine.

For a ten gallon, I would get the most basic type of gravel cleaner out there...a wide stiff tube, connected to a smaller flexible tube. No need for one way valves, or batteries, or jigging things up and down. Pythons are wonderfull, but possibly overkill for a 10 gallon.

Put the flexible end in a bucket, put the stiff end above the tank WITH THE OPEN END ANGLED UP TOWARD THE CEILING. Lower the whole thing into the water, when the tube is filled with water lift the whole tube up out of the water at the same angle...UP toward the ceiling. The water will start to leave the stiff part thru the soft hose. Lower the stiff tube (STILL ANGLED UP!) back into the water....once the open end is completely under water you can angle the tube back down toward the gravel. A little practice will make it easy.

Good luck!

Hi kjwcpm,

Yes, I have around a 3-4 foot drop from the siphon to the bucket. However, yours seems a little more complex - mine doesn't have a check valve. The siphon itself is just a wide plastic tube, connected to a "hose" that goes into a bucket.

I'm curious, though - do most people not use electric siphons? I'm just trying to see how people effectively clean the gravel with a manual one. Perhaps mine is just too big for a 10gal.

You need a pretty small one for a 10g and a Python would vacuum it dry in no time lol. I have an 8g that is hard to vac, so if you fill the tube up with water then lift it so the water fills the hose, then plug the hose at the bucket end, refill the tube in the tank with water and it should start syphoning right away.

Oops, I missed it was a 10 gallon, lol. I use a Python for my 46 gallon, but tbh, I also use it for my 10 gallon QT and even my 5 gallon Fluval Chi, haha. You've just got to be quick and efficient with your vacuuming, and the suction can be adjusted based on how hard you've got the water coming out of the faucet (at least it seems that way).

It is overkill for a 10, but hey, if you've got $30 to burn I wouldn't be mad at you :)

Before I bought my Aqueon changer (which is great, I highly suggest it, it connects to your faucet and with the flip of some valves it both takes water out and puts it in) I used a manual pump from Petsmart: biOrb and biUbe Cleaner Pump - Aquarium Maintenance - Fish - PetSmart It's cheap and effective, you just squeeze the pump to start the flow. I first tried the one you have and could never get the siphon to start and made quite a mess.

I just bought one on eBay as I also have a small 10-gallon tank. Do a search for
Electric Fish Tank Aquarium Siphon Hose Pump

• <LI align="left">
    The Liquid Transfer Pump is battery operated & uses only 2 D batteries (not included).​
  • You can pump about five quarts of liquid per minute.
  • Just push the button on top of the liquid transfer pump to begin moving liquid from one receptacle to another. You can easily empty your aquarium or ornamental pond for cleaning or repairs with the Liquid Transfer Pump.
The one I bought was $15.99 with free shipping. I'll let you know if it works.

!Bgs6rzgBWk~$(KGrHqUOKikErzW8)HJzBLGU-TPQqg~~_12.JPG

I find the best way to start a gravel vac is to put the hard plastic tube down into the tank, in the gravel, then, run the flexible tube up and over the edge of the tank. Suck the flexible tube until you see the water come over the edge of the tank. Be sure to quickly get the tube out of your mouth and into the bucket. If you are too slow and get water in your mouth, spit it out quickly.

Alright, I've decided I'll go ahead and buy the Python water changing system - hauling buckets back and forth was getting old, any way...

Although, does anyone know where I can buy one online? I can't seem to find it on Big Al's, Fosters and Smith or Amazon.

For a small 10 gallon a python would be overkill. For large tanks those are lifesavers! Anyway, I personally use an old fashion manual type gravel siphon. However, if you want a compromise from the manual and electric, try the biOrb Cleaner Pump. I haven't tried it out myself but it's reasonably priced around 8 bucks and gets good reviews.... I think I seen them over at Petsmart. But you can also get them through Amazon with free shipping...

Amazon.com: biOrb Cleaner Pump: Kitchen & Dining

And this guy did an unboxing video on youtube.
‪biOrb Cleaner Pump Unboxing‬‏ - YouTube

@Brian_Nano12g: That looks good, but the reason I would go with a Python is so I could get water from the faucet directly to the aquarium. Is there another product I could use, just acting as a hose for that kind of thing?

@Brian_Nano12g: That looks good, but the reason I would go with a Python is so I could get water from the faucet directly to the aquarium. Is there another product I could use, just acting as a hose for that kind of thing?

You could get the Aqueon Water Changer. It does the same as the Python. I just got one and it's great. I only have a 20 gal tank and it works well.

Okay, thanks - so that can tube water from the faucet to the Aquarium as well? (It appears like it can, just want to make sure)

Jdh said:
Okay, thanks - so that can tube water from the faucet to the Aquarium as well? (It appears like it can, just want to make sure)

Yep the Aqueon brand is the same as a Python. The way my Python leaks, I wish I'd gotten the other. You can go directly from faucet to tank, bit there's a different technique for dechlorinating. Make sure you also have a bottle of Seachem Prime if you have a water changer.

Lee's makes a similar product as the Python and Aqueon. Just wanted to bring that to light so you can research and compare all three to be an informed consumer. My friend has a 300 gallon Peacock Bass tank and the Lee's branded changer is a life saver for him. If I had a tank >30+ gallons, I'd use a python-like water changer for sure. I have a small 12 gallon tank so I just stick to the old fashion way of siphon and bucket because my PWC's take me no time and little effort... But hey, to each their own... LOL

I have a small 12 gallon tank so I just stick to the old fashion way of siphon and bucket because my PWC's take me no time and little effort... But hey, to each their own... LOL

Heh, I suppose that work work... What I always have trouble with with a bucket, though, is when I pour it into the tank the current is too strong and is disrupts the gravel. How do you avoid that?

Jdh said:
Heh, I suppose that work work... What I always have trouble with with a bucket, though, is when I pour it into the tank the current is too strong and is disrupts the gravel. How do you avoid that?

I have basic black gravel. It's not that fine so it's doesn't get disturbed like sand would when I pour the water in. Plus I have an ornamental log in the middle so when I pour water in I aim for that and I pour in slowly and controlled. I suppose if your gravel was the fine type someone else would have to suggest some tips because I've never had that type of substrate.

Back
Top Bottom