Emergency Help with Brackish Tank and Green Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wy Renegade

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so like the title says . . . please help me out, I just received a healthy looking green puffer from a student. Litterally, she walked in with it in a bag and said, "here you go". Got a bag of aquarium Jungle salt with it, no clue if that is what should be used to set up a brackish tank or what. Personally, I've never done brackish, nor have I researched it, but suddenly I have brackish fish. Any and all help appreciated.

Last edited:
You actually have a high-end brackish water fish that is better suited in a saltwater tank in captivity. Send it to your LFS if you feel like you don't have the space or resources to set up a ~40g SW tank.

You actually have a high-end brackish water fish that is better suited in a saltwater tank in captivity. Send it to your LFS if you feel like you don't have the space or resources to set up a ~40g SW tank.

LOL, Thanks Terrance. In fact, I started acclimating it to saltwater not long after I posted this thread. The LOL was directed at the suggestion that I send it to my LFS . . . the closest LFS is two hours away, and I'm sorry if you take this wrong, but I'm not driving four hours for the sake of any fish. For now, its going into a 30gal tank that has no other saltwater fish. Since I've neither space nor interest in setting up a 40gal at this point, it may get taken to the LFS this summer.

According to everything I'd read when I was researching my BW tank, they are FW to BW, not needing full SW at all. They also can reach about 6 inches.

With that being said, they prefer a SG (specific gravity)of 1.005-1.010

BW is easy to set up. Sand substrate works best, a good filter, you can have live plants (anubias, java ferns and moss, jungle val all work well)

While cycling, add your plants and slowly start bringing up the SG. I use reef salt, it's better than the regular aquarium salt. By slowly bringing it up, you give the plants and BB a chnace to adjust to salt.

Was he in FW prior? If so, he might be fine until you can get a BW set-up going.

They can live in light-brackish or freshwater, but their lifespan decreases by many years if kept in those water condition. These fish are able to live as long as dogs.

Exactly, just like the dragon goby.

However, like I said, my research all came up with the same SG. I was going to get some until I'd read how mean they can be. So i stuck with my gobys.

Thanks for the help folks. This guy is on his way to full conversion to salt so it can go in an already established salt tank. Mainly because I don't really have room for another tank.

Back
Top Bottom