Everything I Need To Know About Having A 10 Gal Fresh Water Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I totally disagree, the bala shark will stunt growth any day now, which means his body will stop growing but not his organs. This will kill him. The tiger barbs dont have enough room to swim and will start to fight the bala and killing each other. Take these fish back to the store and start from scratch with new fish. What if it turns out OP doesnt get a bigger tank? For the bala shark MINIMUM is 125, they grow to 1' is size, but no worries then, if you keep it in this tank it will just die in a matter of months.

Also this relates to the comet goldfish youve got but it needs a pond.

Ummmmm.....it's a common goldfish. It lacks pigment :)

Everyone says the fish are over stocked than why when u go to a pet store they have like 50 fish in one little tank? Their still living too!

It's for a couple of reasons.

1: They know the fish are just temporary going to be there. They can't devote themselves to having tanks that fit minimum requirements for each fish because of space, cost and the fact that the fish are product that tends to move quickly.

2. The size they get fish, especially the larger species, are usually juveniles. Thus they can have a bunch of baby oscars crammed in a tank they'd be lucky to fit an adult in.

3. Most chain places have a central filter system, so their water levels are kept pretty well, but again for space reasons they don't want bigger tanks.

Plain story is, it's like keeping people on a bus. They aren't going to be there that long so you don't give each person a bed to lay in or any sort of privacy, but if everyone just had to live on that bus? It would be absolutely awful.

10gallons isnt sutiable for a bala period, in anyway not even as a small juvi. 20gallons is my considered minimum for even neon tetra.

Its not about criticising your tank or how you run it but about giving the right information for the comfort of your fish. Most of us would rather tell you straight and if you became offended then so be it, rather that than tiptoe around bad decisions and not get our point across.

A comet in a 10gallon is a bad idea also and really theyre pond fish and not for micro tanks which isnwhat 10gallons is.

Last edited:
Alright i get it! I have a small tank!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright i get it! I have a small tank.

Sorry but whether you get it or not im still going to state my opinion. This is a community forum and also a database for many and because i dont want any confusion im having my say too. The more comments about the subject the better, incase any other people are reading the thread, that extra post to convince them not to make the same mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to have to agree, you know it's too small, you've said that you're taking the fish back, and you have another thread about suitable fish for the tank you have. I think at this point people are freaking out about the guy with the goldfish in the ten.

Welcome to another part of the hobby...

10gallons isnt sutiable for a bala period, in anyway not even as a small juvi. 20gallons is my considered minimum for even neon tetra.

Its not about criticising your tank or how you run it but about giving the right information for the comfort of your fish. Most of us would rather tell you straight and if you became offended then so be it, rather that than tiptoe around bad decisions and not get our point across.

A comet in a 10gallon is a bad idea also and really theyre pond fish and not for micro tanks which isnwhat 10gallons is.

I know :) I hope to get a bigger tank later. In sorry if I kinda went off ranting. I want the best for my fish :)

I'm going to have to agree, you know it's too small, you've said that you're taking the fish back, and you have another thread about suitable fish for the tank you have. I think at this point people are freaking out about the guy with the goldfish in the ten.

Welcome to another part of the hobby...

People who care are trying to make a point for anyone reading this now or in the future. Its not a case of its been told and it disappears, its becomes archived why have confusion.

Last edited:
I'm saying it because I have been on a couple of fish forums and their are so many of these 'informative threads' archived on them it's mind boggling. First and foremost we are here to help people who are members of the forum, when they start to feel picked on because they've already agreed and are working to change their situation and people still won't let it drop, it needs to stop. There are plenty of articles on plenty of fish forums and related fish site about stocking, even ones that are devoted strictly to safely stocking ten gallons that we don't need to turn every new persons question into a learning experience for the world.

All I meant was that instead of freaking out like everyone was, just relax! The shark isn't going to get full grown overnight! So, about the tap water, chlorine doesn't kill bacteria?! WHAT?!?!? So, they just put in our drinking water for nothing?! Chlorine kills a good portion of good bacteria in your tank.

I have a perfectly running, cycled and healthy aquarium, don't criticize the way I run it.

1. You can ask severum mama about this (a member of this site) and she will tell you that, although chlorine can kill somethings in the water, tap water itself will not kill bacteria from the nitrosomonas and nitrobacter genera, the ones that live in our tanks and perform this cycle, as long as they are only exposed to tap water for a short period of time, which is exactly what I said. Seriously, I didn't mention chlorine or chloramines (which are in tap water) once.

2. I know that the shark won't get fully grown over night. What I said was that they need lots of room to swim, even if they are small, and need tankmates. Sure, a day is fine for one of them, but more than that is not good for them.

3. I wasn't criticizing your tank, I meant that the OP shouldn't only do 10% water changes weekly. At least 25% is needed, especially with that size tank.

People who care are trying to make a point for anyone reading this now or in the future. Its not a case of its been told and it disappears, its becomes archived why have confusion.

I agree, but it is also about how some people (like me) have to get the last word in, simply because if they don't, then some people might listen to the wrong things. Especially since there are usually more intelligent, veteran fishkeepers on here than there are arrogant people who haven't kept fish for long and aren't doing it right. I mean, it's okay if you aren't doing it right and are trying to fix your mistakes, but if you tell someone the wrong information, I AM going to call you out on it.

Ok I'm done now! :lol:

Ohh man fish person, once upon a Time I jumped into this shimmering, magically clean body of water.. My friends pool , thing is crazy clear, he puts this stuff called chlorine into it to keep it looking nice.. Your argument is invalid sir, good day..

Back
Top Bottom