Evolve 4 current--Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magicmarymac

Aquarium Advice Freak
image-869109263.jpg

I set up an Evolve 4 in my office on Tuesday. It has only a half-grown (probable male) Betta. The current is very strong. I have put a sponge on the outtake, but then there does not seem to be enough flow to get the water flowing into the filter. I noticed waste piling up in a corner.

I keep taking the sponge off and then putting it back on. I even tore a hole in the end to let some flow out.

This will be his first three-day weekend, so I have to make a choice. .

Any suggestions?

Note: I will do another PWC before I leave today

image-2670613307.jpg

Yes, I had a weak moment at Petco and bought a baby Betta. He is very strong and very aggressive. I tried him with a ghost shrimp and he attacked it repeatedly--full predator mode. I put a small pond snail in and he ate it!

Planted, heated, sand substrate. Extra bag of media in the sump. Extra filter in the filter box.
Set up on 2-10-13

image-581337942.jpg

Aquarium Evolve 4 parameters are:<br /><br />Temperature: 80<br />Ammonia, NH4: 0.25<br />Nitrate, NO3: 10<br />Nitrite, NO2: 0<br />pH: 7.6<br /><br />for date: February 23, 2013

I ordered a full API Master test kit to take to work. A bag of Purigen will be added Tuesday.

Attachments

• image-2371002022.jpg
    image-2371002022.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 72
I would probably just leave it alone. In my experiance the fish get use to it. If you try slowng it down try doing it on the way coming out of the filter. Good luck and nice setup on such a small tank

Bettas are bred to look pretty, and they do struggle with strong currents. I had the Evolve series on my top list, but ended up not getting one since some local betta enthusiasts actually lost their fish out of exhaustion.

I would consider some form of physical block for the strong flow. A Web search will lead to some options, including the one that uses half of a plastic water bottle to push the current down, instead of to the front.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

Bettas are bred to look pretty, and they do struggle with strong currents. I had the Evolve series on my top list, but ended up not getting one since some local betta enthusiasts actually lost their fish out of exhaustion.

I would consider some form of physical block for the strong flow. A Web search will lead to some options, including the one that uses half of a plastic water bottle to push the current down, instead of to the front.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

Thank you very much, I will look into it.

Here are a couple of choices to reduce the flow. The horizontal stripes on your betta is a classic sign of stress. Let us know how is everything.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/new-baby-betta-what-kind-is-he-she-246207-3.html

Yes, he is stressed by the flow. I finally decided that the flow was worse than less filtration and put the sponge back on the outflow.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002LL32RY

I will not see him again until Tuesday when I go back to work, but he had blackworms before I did the PWC prior to leaving.

Thank you.

Update

It's Tuesday and Jaws is fine. I left the sponge on the outflow nozzle.

image-3120941467.jpg

I tested the water and it is ok, not perfect.

image-2746889542.jpg

I will continue to test the water daily and do PWC of 10-50% as needed.

As soon as I take the sponge off he starts stressing and the lines come out stronger.

Attachments

• image-2088272727.jpg
    image-2088272727.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 46
Heating the water to 78-80F might also help.

Will do! I bumped up his new fancy thermometer with an external dial.

image-4043920346.jpg

This is one pampered "Baby Betta" from a Petco cup.

NOTE: I get it now. Buying a Betta in a cup is like buying from a puppy mill. Sigh.

I have the same aquarium and had the same problem. I uses aquarium filtration foam and cut a pocket in it then stuck the outflow nozzle in it. I secured it with fish line to the nozzle and it has worked great for a couple of weeks now. Since then, I saw a YouTube video discussing the same aquarium. She showed how you can take the filter out and turn it down. She also drilled a couple of holes in the tube behind the black portion.
All I know is that Freddy is a much happier fish with less flow. Now he uses all of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom