External Filter HELP?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xlarronlx

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been using aqadvisor for the past 6months but i have just purchased a new juwel 180 vision and i just need to know whether i am okay to still use my fluval 205 filter? Aqadvisor is saying that its not good enough for the bioload of my current tank. Thanks, Arron.

Is it 180 liters? IMO, no matter what you're putting in it, a 205 is not enough. Not enough surface agitation or flow.

I think the Juwel Vision 180 only has 155L of actual water capacity due to light fixtures. It also has it's own built in filter, so I'd opt to say that running both the internal and the 205 should be fine so long as it's not a gigantic bioload.

I think the Juwel Vision 180 only has 155L of actual water capacity due to light fixtures. It also has it's own built in filter, so I'd opt to say that running both the internal and the 205 should be fine so long as it's not a gigantic bioload.

Ive had a rio180 which i ended up swapping for a rio240. The light fixtures are way above the maximum waterline and im almoat positive it will be the same for the vision line. I would agree that the bioflow 3.0 and a 206 would be adequate filtration. A bigger canister would be better at preventing dirt settling though.

You didnt mention anything about the internal being used so if its been cut out its definitely not enough unless VERY lightly stocked.

Last edited:
Yes the bio flow which comes with the vision has been scraped from previous owner as he had problems with it (don't know the problems,didn't ask) but Yeh I have just the external. I do have a Juwel 4plus internal as a spare from a previous tank. I'm guessing I should be using that aswell as the 205? Unless I sell both filters and go for something like the 405?

Sent from my XT890 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here is my stock list you asked about.

Attachments

• 1388006969905.jpg
    1388006969905.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 59
Any changes/additions to stock list would be much appreciative. I'm looking to add a couple more species in my main tank preferably. Fill it out more with colourful/entertaining fish? Thanks for all advice and help in advance. Arron.

If you can afford the bump, I'd say you could sell them and get the Fluval 406. I use two of them on my own tank and they're fantastic filters, great flow and media capacity.

If you don't want to stretch your budget though, I'm sure that running the 205 and the internal should be adequate, just about.

Someone else posted these the other day, they found it on Amazon for like £8.50 a pop. I'd be curious as to whether it is actually any good for that price. They could be great, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Looking at their reviews and knowing all pond solutions get credit from alot of people i would say they're probably pretty decent for their price which lets be honest is cheap by anyones standards. Also sunsun in america is the same company or related in someway as the sunsun canister filter are identical to the all pond solutions canisters and sunsun get credit too.

Well it depends what you're putting in your tank, personally I'd say you're fine so long as you have enough biomedia in the filter. I'm in a different boat as I have turtles, so I have to use filters rated for a heck of a lot more than the size of their tanks. Other people just like to over filter, means less risk and less maintenance.

i have read that the 205 is for a 200l aquarium so why aint this good enough for my tank?

Filter ratings are nonsense. An Aquaclear 70 can supposedly handle a 70 gallon tank, all by itself. Ridiculous.

For a 200L aquarium you want something rated for 400-600L to get enough surface agitation and flow in the tank.

You can't over filter.

Unless it's a betta tank, you can blow the little buggers around haha.
I went next size up on my 35g. More flow and media capacity is worth it in the long run

I have a filter rated for 50g plus a filter rated for 150g on my 27g cube.. I have a 25x turnover rate per hour. :p

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Filter ratings are nonsense. An Aquaclear 70 can supposedly handle a 70 gallon tank, all by itself. Ridiculous.

For a 200L aquarium you want something rated for 400-600L to get enough surface agitation and flow in the tank.

You can't over filter.

For an average stocked tank, it's not entirely necessary though. I can understand for things like turtles, as they create a heck of a lot more mess than fish. I have two Fluval 406's on my 50G to keep the tank cleaner for longer (2 turtles in it)

Back
Top Bottom