Fast Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uscamaro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is the quickest way to get a tank to complete it's cycle, and how do you know when it is done? I heard that hardy fish were great to put in at first, but that isn't working out so well (check out my post in the "Unhealthy Fish" forum. Tips?

The fastest way is a fishless cycle with ammonia and seeded material from another filter or substrate from an established tank. Cycling with fish takes longer IMO due to the fact that you have to do several water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite down to as close to 0ppm as possible. What size tank are you trying to cycle?

With fish mostly likely around 6 weeks. I haven't actually cycled with fish so that is a guesstimate on my part. Fishless cycle without seeded media and solid ammonia source has taken me 3-4 weeks.

The reason it takes longer is because you have to do water changes so that the ammonia and nitrate levels do not kill the fish.. without fish you can do no water changes and just let the cycle take its course without worrying about dead fish.

What fijiwigi says is completely accurate. By having to do the water changes to keep fish alive, you slow down the process of ammonia converting to nitrite and then to nitrate.

I am not trying to start anything here, but if you do PWC's and there is still detectable levels of NH3 and NO2, you are not slowing the cycle down. As long as there is a food source, the bacteria will still grow. In fact, it will probably help it to cycle faster by adding O2 into the water column. O2 is very important to the bacteria. IE the wet/dry sumps or biowheels.

It really doesn't make a difference if you have 5.0 PPM NH3 or 0.5 PPM NH3. The bacteria are still going to multiply just as fast to consume what is there. Of course letting the NH3 source run out will not help you unless you are at the point of your current bioload.

The best way to speed up the cycle is to get some substrate or mung from someone whom you know takes care of thier tanks. Purchasing plants that are kept with fish will do just the same as the plants will be covered in bacteria.

There are also quite a few different bacteria suppliments on the market. Bio-spira is one that has been known to work rather well, but it is very expensive and has to be kept cold at all times.

There are also factors that could slow down the cycle time. Tempurature, pH, nutrients, ect...

Justin was kind enough to put together an article for people just like you.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...ks-for-your-fastest-fishless-cycle/Page1.html

Last edited:
Interesting, it is contrary to everything I've read about the levels of ammonia and nitrite not affecting time. I have done fishless cycles with and without seeded media and find the ammonia levels at 4ppm do work the fastest for me.

I wil do some more reading up and see what else I can find on the subject. Everything else you say I do agree with.

The op has mentioned that they have no options for seeded media in this thread.

Last edited:
fast cycle

Hello I'm new to the site so please bear with me if I make any silly mistakes.

I know this post/thread was a year ago part I'm hoping you can help me.

I also want to cycle my tropical freshwater tank as quickly as possible.

I'm buying a tank on ebay and it is coming with a tetra 700 external filter and some gravel, will this help speed up the cycle process (I'm also going to use bottled products to add bactiera to also speed it up)?

The tank, gravel and filter have been used to house a2 terapines, will this make a difference?

And my last question is, say I buy another filter and gravel that have been used for just tropical fish, would this speed up the cycle process (I was thinking I might just ask someone on ebay who's selling a tank if I can just buyt their fexternal filter and gravel/sand)?

Please reply asap as I really want to get this started

Thanks for your time

Tony

I'd do a thorough job of cleaning any used tank - vinegar to break down calcium/lime, then bleach with thorough rinsing...

I'd replace the gravel and also do a thorough cleanup on the filter.

Bottled products in theory can help, but have received mixed reviews. Your best bet IMHO is to get some media (filter floss) or objects with surface area (a rock or other decorative item?) from an established tank (don't let it dry out/delay, treat it like a living thing in a bag with water, etc) and follow the fishless cycling as described in the FAQ.

If you're lucky? Some speak of 2 week cycles. I'd still plan for double that. It's tough to wait through the whole thing, but I'm guessing your fish will thank you.

Your last question - the answer is probably if the bacteria are still alive - but I'd think that the delay and adverse conditions of the purchase/ship process would kill the bacteria you want. And you might inherit diseases or parasites from the previous owner.

I'm personally skeptical of the promise of rapid cycling - but that's just based upon all the research I've done and cycling my own tank. Probably not what you wanted to hear, I know... I for one with there truly was an overnight or 1 week way to cycle a tank.

Thank you so much for replying so quickly laxpatrick

I had a feeling that might be the response :(

I know you just answered my questions for me with the correct procedure I should take with a used tank but I have spoken to another guy who has promised me that his tank is healthy and that he would deliver it to me with the filter filled with the aquariums water and enough aquarium water left in the tank to cover the gravel, plants and wood laying down.

He says I wont have to cycle the tank

In therory is this correct, as all the parts are still covered in water?

I would still fill it with treated water and leave for a few days running and test it with Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates tests?

I'm close to buying it, what do you think under these cercumstances?

Thanks again

Tony

Bacteria live all over the tank surfaces - so you wouldn't have a cycled tank right off the bat by hooking up a "cycled" filter - but you would have seeded the tank in effect...

You'll still want to be sure that you've got sufficient bacteria to deal with ammonia and nitrites. So at best you might be able to get a "mini cycle". I think it'll still take some time. Others can chime in with their experiences.

I agree to disagree. I think at MOST you will experience a mini-cyle. If the filter media is kept wet, the gravel and wood kept wet, you would essentially have all your bacteria colonies in place from the start. I would however add fish sporadically. Throwing a ton of fish in, with even a fully established aquarium, will cause a mini-cycle of sorts. Hope it helps! :)

One question, you say you are getting this off of ebay? I hope you are going to pick it up. I doubt the tank would ship well with water and gravel in it!

Didn't I say that? "at best" = "at most"

All of the bacteria colonies in place? What about all of the surfaces in the tank (including the tank itself)?

Agree that if you get it shipped to you, you have no way of ensuring the appropriate temp is maintained. Too hot/cold and it'll kill the bacteria you want...

Providing the tank was in use and imediately broken down and transported to you there should be at most a mini cycle that you will barely notice.
I bought a used tank last summer (including fish) and I only saw a very slight rise in nitrite for a couple of days. Never lost a single fish. I even threw away the substrate and cleaned the tank so the only real bacteria was in the filter which I kept wet during transport.

Back
Top Bottom