Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2005, 09:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

fast hitting disease- doing a journal for updates now

My water perams are perfect, I've been testing them nearly every day because I just recently lost some new fish. Two nights ago all my fish looked perfect, I mean perfect! I watch my fish every night, always looking out for any strange behaviors, and then I get up close and examine them very carefully. Anyway, by last night one of my female bettas was practically dead. He eyes were glazed over and her body looked very patchy. The patches were an opaque color and you could still see a small bit of her pink coloring underneath. That happened in a little less than 24 hours. I rushed to swap fish around and get her into the 5 gallon for treatment, but she died before I could get back with any medication. I looked into my 55 gallon tank again and noticed my other female betta was starting to show the same signs. I put her in the 5 gallon immediately, and I am treating for fungus. I didn't think she'd make the night, but she seems to be barely alive...barely Half her body has the opaque patch and she is just tring to stay near the surface, but not trying to swim.

I don't know if I am crazy, but it looks like one of my cories in the 55 gallon has an opaque patch on his nose... I'll check when I get back from school.

Is this a fungus? Bacteria? Parasite? Or worst... Virus?? Here are the symptoms again:

a clear/whiteish coloring starts to take over the body and the fish becomes very lethargic after 12 hours.

Old 01-31-2005, 10:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

velvet perhaps?

I don't know much about fw diseases. Here is a site I found that's give a description of some of them. Good luck with your fishes.

http://www.versaquatics.com/freshwaterdiseasecharts.htm

Old 01-31-2005, 11:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks, but it isn't velvet... the closest description I could get would be a "false-fungal infection" aka Columnaris. However, I didn't think this particular disease would be so fast and so hard hitting. Anyone else have any ideas?

oh, I forgot to mention, my tank stay steady at 79 degrees... just in case you might be wondering.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry. I hope you find out what it is and can fix it. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:17 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure, but I am going to PM a couple members for you.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:43 PM   #6
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Could be some form of columnaris....or possibly something completely unidentifiable....there are some really fast fungal infections out there that do not necessarily present with classic symptoms (if I had to treat, I would go aggressively anti-fungal first).
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, in the QT tank I'm in the process of treating anti-fungal, starting last night around 7:45pm. However, by this morning, the opaque patch that had been maybe a centimeter in diameter spread to a little under an inch. Still, compared to my other betta who died within a 24 hour time frame ( ), she seems to be looking alright... but I'm not hopeful... I'll be getting home in a little over an hour to check on her. *sigh* I'm scared I'll come home to another dead fish and more sick ones....
Old 01-31-2005, 03:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

MAJOR UPDATE!!!

I just got home and I found the poor female betta stuck at the bottom of the tank, half of her body covered in that weird stuff... All areas covered by that stuff are paralyzed!!! I checked my cory in the 55 gallon, the space covered by the "stuff" had doubled in size. I have moved both (both because I noticed it spread from one betta to the next since they hung out together, so I am trying to prevent the damage on the second cory) my cories to the QT for treatment, but I still have no idea what I am treating for... please help me! I don't want to loose an entire tank of fish, they mean too much to me!

I'll be doing a big water change on the 55 gallon now.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:58 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I would treat with NeoPlex and Sulfathiazole. That's what I happen to have in front of me. Add in some salt.
Here's a Prayer for Healing:
"Oh, fishtailed Goddess Melusine,
One of the watery depths, serene,
Protect my fish and keep them safe
from fungus, wounds, and all ill-fate.
Keep them free of all disease,
and let them swim with grace and ease.
Bless them with your loving care,
Guard them, Melusine, hear my prayer!"
(author unknown)

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 04:24 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Personally, I'd recommend a broad-spectrum antibiotic for this malady. It sounds like some sort of bacterial infection rather than a fungal one. Fungal infections can produce 'atypical' symptoms but in my experience they are relatively slow to develop.

-Joe

Tags
disease, journal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com