FC week 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sibley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Started testing for NitrItes this week and actually got a reading of 1ppm the first day. My ammonia went down to 0ppm by day 4 of week 2. Thanks to advice here I added 10 drops of my starter ammonia for a 20gal tank to get it back up to 1ppm and keep feeding the bacteria.

On day 4, my NitrIte reading was 5ppm. And so, on a whim, I tested for NitrAtes. And I got a reading! Of 5ppm. I was completely shocked. I just tested because I had extra time this morning and wanted to practice at my own pace rather than at the pace of week-day life.

So, I guess I'll be testing for all 3 from now until the end of the cycle.

This seems to be going much faster than I thought it would... esp since I didn't seed with anything....

End of week 2 - I'm still at 0 for ammonia, 5ppm for NitrItes, and 5-ish ppm for NitrAtes. I'm adding ammonia every day to help feed those little bacteria, but I can't help but be a little frustrated that I've (a) been at 5 and 5 for both Ns for 4 days and (b) the NitrItes liquid test color is hard to read - the 1ppm color and the 5ppm color are almost identical. I'm still sticking with my 5 readings, though.

Son is getting very excited. He would like fish now, please, mommy. I told him maybe next weekend (giving me a 2 week cushion as today is Tuesday), if all the tests come out right.

I gotta say, having the notebook is a great idea. It's really helping me to track everything and I've already put the dates in for week 3.

Back
Top Bottom