Feeding 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rendao

Aquarium Advice Activist
O just how much food should we be feeding them? A pinch to me is so vague!

And what are feeding just curious...

I fed mine once every other day and I have some aggression issues and read up that feeding everyday may be better. I feed the group for maybe 60 seconds. I watch and make sure everyone is eating. Sometimes I'll just throw in a few extra sinking pellets for the bottom dwellers. I think you want to feed just enough for them to eat not over eat and you don't want too much extra food laying around either, that will just create waste. And a pinch is just that a pinch! :)

I know it's hard, I'm still getting the hang of it myself.

A fish's stomach is about as big as it's eye, which has been helpful to me in figuring out how much to feed. It's harder with groups of fish (for me anyway) b/c I want to make sure everyone gets some. I think it's really trial and error until you get the hang of it. What are you feeding them? Try a small pinch of whatever it is and watch the fish. If it all disappears in a couple of minutes but not everyone has had food, then add a bit more. If all have fed and there's food leftover, you're feeding too much. The Corys will scavenge for food at the bottom though so if you overfeed a bit they'll probably clean it up unless there's a lot of it.

As for the lights on or off question in your other post, it doesn't matter. Corys like to scavenge at night, so a couple of times a week (when I remember really lol) I'll throw in an algae wafer or some shrimp pellets for them after lights out but they eat during the day when the other fish feed with the light on as well.

What are you feeding them, just out of curiosity? I try to give mine a variety. I also fast them once per week and feed them thawed deshelled frozen peas once per week (helps to aid in digestion and combat bloating/constipation).

It's funny the advice varies so much. Some say 3 times a day, some say every other day. I guess in the wild they would get food randomly, so might try that!

Feeding the fish, which are :

8 Gold Barbs ( too young to sex but looks like 4 male, 4 female )

2 Dwarf Blue Gouramis (male and female). The male keeps chasing her, in what I think is a playful manner!

4 Pepper Corys ( not sure on sex )

6 Black Rosy Barbs ( 1 male, 5 females)

The tank can get quite boisterous but no aggression from what I can see.

Anyway feed them

Tetra Flakes ( 1 hour after lights on and again about 1 hour before lights off )

Pellets for the Corys ( perhaps 3 a day)

Frozen food ( once a day)

Thankfully all fish and plants seem well.

Promise will get round to taking some pics soon.

Really enjoying just watching, for instance noticed tonight that Mrs Gourami, who has spent 72 hours keeping out of the way of Mr Gourami, has now started purposefully swimming in a half circle right in front of him at an angle of about 45%. Really odd behaviour, wonder if anyone has any idea what's going on? Is she standing up to him maybe, or Is she trying to lead him astray?

Actually I miss spoke. I USE to feed every other day. I was having some aggression issues and through help from the members started feeding once a day. I have notice they seem happier. Less hungry=less aggression, I guess like us! :)

When I'm hungry LOOK OUT!!

Feeding the fish, which are :

8 Gold Barbs ( too young to sex but looks like 4 male, 4 female )

2 Dwarf Blue Gouramis (male and female). The male keeps chasing her, in what I think is a playful manner!

4 Pepper Corys ( not sure on sex )

6 Black Rosy Barbs ( 1 male, 5 females)

The tank can get quite boisterous but no aggression from what I can see.

Anyway feed them

Tetra Flakes ( 1 hour after lights on and again about 1 hour before lights off )

Pellets for the Corys ( perhaps 3 a day)

Frozen food ( once a day)

Thankfully all fish and plants seem well.

Promise will get round to taking some pics soon.

Really enjoying just watching, for instance noticed tonight that Mrs Gourami, who has spent 72 hours keeping out of the way of Mr Gourami, has now started purposefully swimming in a half circle right in front of him at an angle of about 45%. Really odd behaviour, wonder if anyone has any idea what's going on? Is she standing up to him maybe, or Is she trying to lead him astray?

That seems like a lot of food to me for one day! :D Everyone has different feeding regimes though. With all of that food I'd highly suggest a day of peas and a day of fasting. And a lot of gravel vacuums LOL Do they eat it all? I have small fish though so maybe feeding larger fish is different.

librarygirl said:
That seems like a lot of food to me for one day! :D Everyone has different feeding regimes though. With all of that food I'd highly suggest a day of peas and a day of fasting. And a lot of gravel vacuums LOL Do they eat it all? I have small fish though so maybe feeding larger fish is different.

Yeah, I thought so but flake, frozen, flake with three or so pellets for the Corys is three times a day, which I was advised. My pinches are only small!

Will do a fasting day also, and will try them on a couple of defrosted peas.

What do you think?

Yeah, I thought so but flake, frozen, flake with three or so pellets for the Corys is three times a day, which I was advised. My pinches are only small!

Will do a fasting day also, and will try them on a couple of defrosted peas.

What do you think?

I feed once a day with one fasting day lol. Some on here feed every other day, some feed multiple times. I'm not sure if there's a right or wrong unless your fish start showing swim bladder or bloat issues or your tank is a mess from leftover food. There have been threads on this recently; take a look:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f27/how-many-times-a-day-do-you-feed-your-fish-156016.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/how-often-should-you-really-feed-fish-166629.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/how-often-to-feed-fish-178318.html

Don't forget that scavengers, like corys, are going to constantly search the substrate for food. They will not go hungry.

I also think you're overfeeding. I feed every other day and my fish are all fat, sassy and happy. It also helps keep the tank clean. I've found that just about all fish are scavengers and this also keeps them too busy to spar with another fish.

Back
Top Bottom