Feeding fresh veggies question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the proper way to do this? I just realized I have a ton of French cut green bean cans in my cabinet that I never use (still good though). I know a whole can would be more than enough. Should I just boil them according to directions on the can and let them cool? How much should I give? Also is it ok to store them in a container in the fridge and heat them up when i feed them again? Also any other veggies that are recommended please mention those as well so I can give a variety :)

Peas-http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080216152606AAfQ58L
I try to give my fish peas once a week or once every two weeks, its good for their digestive system. I dont know about other veggies, but im curious.

Skip the canned stuff- it contains way too much salt and some have additional preservatives as well that are not healthy either.

jlk said:
Skip the canned stuff- it contains way too much salt and some have additional preservatives as well that are not healthy either.

Ok thanks for the info! So what other veggies should I offer and how much, I have 5 bronze Cory's and an albino pleco, 5 giant danios and a silver dollar size angelfish.

Romaine lettuce, spinach, zucchini, and cucumber are some good veggies for your fish. Note that I said romaine lettuce, as iceberg lettuce is composed of mainly water, so there is virtually no nutritional benefit for your fish.

The way I prepare the cucumber or zucchini is boil it for a couple minutes, and quickly dunk it in ice water to stop the cooking process. The way I prepare leafy vegetables is just by freezing them for ~45 minutes.

Definitely stick with fresh or frozen. Zucchini, cucumber, peas, spinach and lettuce are all good. Just blanch them real quick, take of the skin/shell/seeds and let them cool. Petsmart or Petco sells veggie clips to keep them weighed down. They go nuts for this stuff!

Peas are my tanks favorite fresh food. I just take a few frozen peas out of the freezer, pop them in a cup with hot water and microwave them until soft. Drain the water and de-shell the peas, smash the pea's so there are no big chunks and slowly add them a couple at a time until they get used to them as a food item. I feed them 2x a week at least.

Broccoli/cauliflower florets (flower part), aspargus, carrots, green/red peppers, kale, turnip greens, spinach, etcetc are some other ideas. Skip starchy stuff (corn, potatoes) and spicy stuff (onions, hot pepers). :)

Back
Top Bottom