Feeding pygmy cories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtncrux

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 guppies and 3 Corydoras pygmaeus. I have a newbie question about feeding the pygmy cories.

The pygmy cories are very small. I would guess that they are about 1/2" not including their tail.

I am feeding Tetramin flakes and Tetracolor crisps. Two feedings per day, and I try to keep the feedings light, but "light" for a newbie may not be as light as I think.

Ammonia, NItrite, and NItrate are all 0. (I have several bunches of fast growing anacharis plants which I suspect are keeping the nitrate low)

The cories are very active and constantly foraging for food, but I never see a cory actually eating food. If there is a pea size piece of flake food, the cory will swim right over it without noticing. I never see them nibbling bites off of the food.

How do I know if the cories are getting enough to eat if I never see them actually eating?

Do I need to be feeding them a different food?

Do they only eat particles of food smaller than their mouths, or should I expect to see them nibbling on a bigger piece of food?

Should I just relax and assume that they are getting enough leftover particles of food to keep them happy?

I forgot to mention that I cycled the tank with just the guppies and then added the cories a few days ago. Trates,

They are new, therefor scared. It will take a few days before they feel comfortable enough to eat. I feed mine Hikari Sinking Waffers, and they eat little bits of leaves that have fallen off. I will also supplement them with veggies.

OK Thank.

I will give them a few more days before I worry, and I will pick up some of those sinking wafers the next time I am in the fish store.

Try some shrimp pellets too, my corys go nuts for those. They're probably still getting used to their environment. Plus it's hard to see corys actually eat....they'll go over a bit of food and stop and if you look closely you can see them nibbling something, then they'll move on.

Back
Top Bottom