Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2016, 03:14 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

It is awesome! Very peaceful to look at.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

thank you betta, I think, agrees

Old 12-28-2016, 05:01 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
It is awesome! Very peaceful to look at.
thank you I took the plant out at the left hand side. I freaked thinking it had more hydra on it but now I think it was just hair algae... it was string and whitey colour. I'll pick up another plant to fill the space.... is there a way I can clean plants before putting them in to avoid catastrophe?!
Old 12-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubeardy View Post
thank you I took the plant out at the left hand side. I freaked thinking it had more hydra on it but now I think it was just hair algae... it was string and whitey colour. I'll pick up another plant to fill the space.... is there a way I can clean plants before putting them in to avoid catastrophe?!
YES.

You can dip them in a salt solution or diluted hydrogen peroxide or bleach. Different plants can handle different strengths of dip, so be sure to look into that.

I personally really like hydrogen peroxide. It's pretty strong, so you can't use it on delicate plants, but it's very effective. After it does its work, it leaves only water and oxygen.

http://injaf.org/
http://www.instagram.com/thedelicion
nirbhao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:14 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirbhao View Post
YES.

You can dip them in a salt solution or diluted hydrogen peroxide or bleach. Different plants can handle different strengths of dip, so be sure to look into that.

I personally really like hydrogen peroxide. It's pretty strong, so you can't use it on delicate plants, but it's very effective. After it does its work, it leaves only water and oxygen.
awesome thanks
Old 12-28-2016, 05:15 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

... would a salt solution work of I placed it in the tank... would thay solve any problems thay may reoccur ? (I have used the original plants which may have given me everything... though I really hope not!)
Old 12-28-2016, 05:21 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubeardy View Post
... would a salt solution work of I placed it in the tank... would thay solve any problems thay may reoccur ? (I have used the original plants which may have given me everything... though I really hope not!)
You would need way too much salt to be in your tank.

http://injaf.org/
http://www.instagram.com/thedelicion
nirbhao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:24 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirbhao View Post
You would need way too much salt to be in your tank.
OK, bad idea lol fingers crossed then!!!!! (I think most.of my problem was my hydra and worms in the substrate so my plants may have been the cauae originally but maybe -hoping - safe now!)
Old 12-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #29
Lev
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
Suck it up! If you can't suck it up then your not hooked on aquariums to the point where it will ever be worth your effort. They aren't easy and they are time consuming money pits. You have to LOVE it so much that you want to try harder when you hit a hurdle, not quit.

All this is true, but your wormy issues aren't the end of the world, and your betta sounds like a perky little fellow

Sometimes when you're doing it all alone and feel new and incompetent it's good to have some experienced ( or less experienced in my case!!) voices telling you that everyone has been through these problems before

Don't give up unless when your tank has settled a bit you find that you aren't enjoying it even when the issues are ironed out . I had a rough night with a molly that got dropsy and felt like I'd messed up and my effort had been for nothing... I'd just bought a sick fish - now my tank is back to being awesome and super entertaining
Old 12-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lev View Post
All this is true, but your wormy issues aren't the end of the world, and your betta sounds like a perky little fellow

Sometimes when you're doing it all alone and feel new and incompetent it's good to have some experienced ( or less experienced in my case!!) voices telling you that everyone has been through these problems before

Don't give up unless when your tank has settled a bit you find that you aren't enjoying it even when the issues are ironed out . I had a rough night with a molly that got dropsy and felt like I'd messed up and my effort had been for nothing... I'd just bought a sick fish - now my tank is back to being awesome and super entertaining
thank you now that I have a more manageable tank I feel a bit more at ease. my betta is deffinetly a character. he now seems to be glass surfing now so rather dworried about that :/ but I know my water is suitable and now critters (that I have seen after redoing my tank) so maybe just about phase! lol

Tags
eel, fish, fish tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com