female betta and Dalmatian Mollie fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarah E

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello again,

I have a 10 gallon tank with a heater and hook on filter. I have one female betta in that tank I might add a few corydoras catfish in my tank as well. Along with these fish, I would like to add a few dalmation mollies that someone I know might be giving me. my question is will dalmation Mollies get along with my betta? will my betta eat the baby dalmation Mollies? if so could I put them in my nursery until they are big enough to not be eaten will they later get along with my betta fish?

Thank you.

Just my thought is that that will be to many fish for that tank. As far as the mollies and betta it is a 50/50 thing maybe.

Mollies are messy fish and I wouldn't add them to the 10 gal with other fish; you'd need larger tank. I'm not sure about the Betta and Corys; the only Cory you could maybe do in there would be Pygmys. They may be OK with the Betta but I'm not sure.

Ahhhh, okay! Does anyone know a good school of fish to put in with my female Betta? I've heard African dwarf frogs.... i want to figure out, a good group of fish to put in my 10 gallon with them... without over crowding.

I have 2 Emeralds, 1 Peppered and 2 Julis. They're in my 20G now, and love it. I also do water changes once a week, going to up it to a couple times a week. :)

Okay, and if I didn't have any Corydoras? What other fish could we have in there?

It depends. I would first test out how your betta reacts to other fish in the tank with some cheap, inexpensive ghost shrimp. If he leaves them alone, you are good to add some fish. If not, don't add anything, except maybe a nerite snail.

There are tons of nano fish out there for you to choose from. Ember tetras, espei and chilli rasboras, pygmy hatchets, all personal preference. Look online and see what nano fish you like.

No Ghost Shrimp!!! Ghost shrimp killed my other female Betta. Ghost shrimp are known to capture sleeping fish as well as injured and dead and eat them!! They'll also grab onto slower fish and eat them.

I had her in my other tank for a few days, with the corys, SAEs, feeder guppies, etc. and she did fine! Whenever they got close, she would either move under a plant in sight and watch them, or hide further in the plants beside when she would go and watch them.

Thank you very much! I'll look into the Nano fish. :D

I have a male Betta in a 10g with 5 bloodfin tetras and 2 small brichardi they are doing fine I've never heard of ghost shrimp capturing or killing anything lol the only problem i've had is they wind up getting eaten themselves I think u should b ok with sum small tetras of sum sort just not too small I've had female bettas pick the eyes out of about 50$ worth of neons in one night :( lesson learned lol

Those poor Neons!!! :O Fish can be scary sometimes! I'm thinking of getting a school of Pygmy Hatchetfish and/or Chili Rasbora.

I talked with a LFS who has... good and bad reviews. She said I could put a small school of bigger tetras, or Platies.... hmmm what do you guys think?

Platies would b fine I thinku could possibly put another female betta just keep a close eye on em the first day to c how they fair with each other but good luck with whatever u decide :)

Sarah E said:
I talked with a LFS who has... good and bad reviews. She said I could put a small school of bigger tetras, or Platies.... hmmm what do you guys think?

No platies. They have huge bioloads and I would only recommend one in a ten gallon. Bigger tetras do not work either, they are highly active and need bf tanks.

Back
Top Bottom