Fighting Fish in tropical tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeborahAnne

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi peeps,

Just a general question, I am still in process of setting up my 130 litre tropical tank, and I heard you can put fighting fish into a tropical tank with no problems, they are quite beautiful and I was wondering if anyone has or knows if this is OK!

If by fighting fish you mean siamese fighting fish, or commonly known as betta fish, than yes, but it is not a good idea. In an 130 liter there would be too many fish for the betta to pick on, so I recommend against it.

They are more commonly known as Bettas in America and fighting fish in Australia.

It really depends what other fish you plan to keep in the tank. I've found Bettas get along with a wide variety of peaceful community fish. Out of the almost 20 Bettas I've had over the years there has been 1 maybe 2 that didn't get along with other (non-betta) fish. You want to avoid any nippy fish or fish with flowing fins.

Ahhhh ok guys thanks! I am in Australia so i know them as Siamese Fighting fish, they are so pretty!

But with your advice I shall avoid them I think.

Thanks again for good advice x

I am with Mumma on this... I have had loads of bettas In my community tanks. It depends on the betta's personality, and what you have in the community tank. Some bettas are just way too agro, while others don't bother anyone. And if you have fin nippers like barbs, and zebras, the betta is a wonderful target for these faster guys and they will nip him to shreds! Just NEVER mix them in with guppies! The flowing tails of guppies look like other male bettas! I keep my female bettas in the community, so far, mine are only agro at each other, and rarely bother any other of the other fish. A nice personable male betta is a colorful addition to a community, as long as everyone behaves!

Back
Top Bottom