Figure 8 puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkyfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 68 litre will soon be available as I'm moving my fish in a 300 litre and I really want to get a figure 8. How many can I get?? And any advice?? Thanx

Mm well if 68 isn't big enough for even one then I'd rather wait to get a bigger tank, I don't want the little guy to b unhappy :-( thanx for the advice

If it is close to a 20 gallon then you will be fine I have mine in a 20 gallon extra high and they started in a ten gallon , they out grow the ten real fast but they do fine together in the 20 and get along real well. Grant you may have to do more water changes like I do and and I may move mine eventually to a bigger tank but, you should be okay for awhile . The extra high is cause they love to swim really fast up and down.

Well it's about 17.5 gallon I think. I'm not sure what to do now? I wana get one but I want it to be happy. I won't b able to get a bigger tank for about 6 months. How quickly do they grow ?

Punkyfish said:
Well it's about 17.5 gallon I think. I'm not sure what to do now? I wana get one but I want it to be happy. I won't b able to get a bigger tank for about 6 months. How quickly do they grow ?

You should be fine .... Like I said mine are very happy and in a 20 extra high , so it's a footprint of a ten gallon basically but it's like two feet tall , and like I said if you keep up on the water changes you should be good to go

i would say a 15 gallon is good for 1 but you will need to do a little extra work and when you get one most likely it will be small and as time goes on you can upgrade the tank.

any more than 1 in a 20 gal is definitely too many. I wouldn't recommend putting one in a 15 gallon....they need space. Also, the are low-mid swimmers usually so an extra tall tank is not aways the best for them... When they swim up and down the tank it is called pacing, and it is a sign of boredom. Nearly all fish do it when they are in a small tank.... if i were you, i would wait for a larger tank or think about a different kind of puffer, perhaps a few pea puffers? Figure 8's are also brackish fish, so they need marine salt in their tank. I agree with Homer8....for now the tank will be good enough, as long as it is aquascaped well and they have lots of decor.....but as it reaches adulthood, it will need a larger tank for sure. good luck!

patola_l said:
any more than 1 in a 20 gal is definitely too many. I wouldn't recommend putting one in a 15 gallon....they need space. Also, the are low-mid swimmers usually so an extra tall tank is not aways the best for them... When they swim up and down the tank it is called pacing, and it is a sign of boredom. Nearly all fish do it when they are in a small tank.... if i were you, i would wait for a larger tank or think about a different kind of puffer, perhaps a few pea puffers? Figure 8's are also brackish fish, so they need marine salt in their tank. I agree with Homer8....for now the tank will be good enough, as long as it is aquascaped well and they have lots of decor.....but as it reaches adulthood, it will need a larger tank for sure. good luck!

IMO 20 gallon is fine for a pair as long as they getting along and you keep up on w/c .... 15g for one , 5g add. Puffer , as a bigger tank is better and as mine reach adult hood they will be moved to a bigger tank, but if you have plenty of plants etc... you should okay.... And as of the up and down goes , I have noticed mine doing it long ways to and if there doing it both ways it really doesn't make a diff. Cause if there bored there going to do it, at the moment though I'm in the process of making them a long cave so they don't get bored as much . I do agree longer in a way is good , but at the same time mine love to hover in the mid/top and watch my tv .. Lol. .. No joke .. And they are happy little guys

I'm going to have to fully (respectfully) disagree on the 20 gal for a pair. At MOST one figure 8 could be put in a 20 gallon. I am basing this on years of research and that i have kept figure 8's for 3 years myself, and my father for over 20 years. A great website, which has 100% reliable advice and information on it is pufferforum.com, they have encylopedias on all different kinds of puffers which are created by puffer experts that have kept puffers for many many many years. i would put one in a 15 gallon tank... but again that is a minimum. As fish keepers and hobbyists we should attempt to give ALL our fish the best lives we possibly can. And if we all go by the minimums, we are giving our fish a life in which they can't live to their potential.... of course no tank is big enough for wild fish but I myself keep just 1 figure8 in a 40 gallon and he never has paced up and down the glass because he has ample space to live and grow. I would recommend at least 30 gallons if you want to keep a pair of figure 8's

patola_l said:
I'm going to have to fully (respectfully) disagree on the 20 gal for a pair. At MOST one figure 8 could be put in a 20 gallon. I am basing this on years of research and that i have kept figure 8's for 3 years myself, and my father for over 20 years. A great website, which has 100% reliable advice and information on it is pufferforum.com, they have encylopedias on all different kinds of puffers which are created by puffer experts that have kept puffers for many many many years. i would put one in a 15 gallon tank... but again that is a minimum. As fish keepers and hobbyists we should attempt to give ALL our fish the best lives we possibly can. And if we all go by the minimums, we are giving our fish a life in which they can't live to their potential.... of course no tank is big enough for wild fish but I myself keep just 1 figure8 in a 40 gallon and he never has paced up and down the glass because he has ample space to live and grow. I would recommend at least 30 gallons if you want to keep a pair of figure 8's

Oh I agree bigger tank is better and they most likely won't pace up or down or left to right As MUch if there is more room, and believe me when I get the money , there getting a bigger tank , mine are still really young , and as I agree 20 is better for one then a pair , but I also think 20 isn't the worst either if there YOUNG, good water conditions , and plenty of decors, plants, etc... I also think it is pref. preference too, I have heard so many say two in 20g is fine and only one on 20g is the min. , I totally agree that at full mature I and others should have a 30+ g. tank . I as said I'm still working on making DIY caves for mine at the moment. As of pacing goes mine do it only about once an awhile ( mostly when hungry) , and believe me I spend most of the time in my room ( where there at ). Believe me I agree with ya on 89% ( respectfully) . I'm hoping there be getting a 28g bio cube or just a real long tank very, very, soon. Also as of now mine are happy, friendly, great colors, and spoiled. Oh I almost forgot I wanted to add I think each and every puffer has is own personality. And as being bored I heard a long tube helps is this true ?! As myself , I'm still learning. Any suggestions on exact tank size not gallons but length, height width, so when I go to get there new home?!

Back
Top Bottom