Figure 8 Puffer Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetcarolinex3

Aquarium Advice Activist
I wanna start a 10gal tank with just one puffer fish. I know I need brackish water and snails to feed the puffer. I have a marineland led lid but need suggestions for everything else such as substrate, filter, live plants, ect.

I'd like to say first that 15 gallons might be better. In terms of plants, I would say go with plastic plants or plastic coral if you want a marine theme. Don't forget to breed some snails to feed the puffer.

I'd like to say first that 15 gallons might be better. In terms of plants, I would say go with plastic plants or plastic coral if you want a marine theme. Don't forget to breed some snails to feed the puffer.

Already have some snails breeding (happy accident) I'm really not a fan of the fake plants though :/

I had a friend who kept two figure 8 puffers in a 20gallon. He as well tried using real plants but they just got destroyed from the puffers. So he switched over to fake plants to save some cash on olants constantly being destroyed. As for tank size I have heard 10 gallon is doable but 15 is more Ideal.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had a friend who kept two figure 8 puffers in a 20gallon. He as well tried using real plants but they just got destroyed from the puffers. So he switched over to fake plants to save some cash on olants constantly being destroyed. As for tank size I have heard 10 gallon is doable but 15 is more Ideal.

What do they do that destroys them?

I personally wouldn't put a figure 8 in a 10g. You could look into dwarf puffers, you could have more than one in a 10g and wouldn't have to convert them to brackish.

Puffers shouldn't be destroying plants. Some people have had luck with Anubias and cryptocoryne in brackish water.

I dont know much about them but I'm just going off what my friend said happened to his plants lol

Definitely agree with bud here -- 10g is too small for a F8 puffer. 2-3 dwarf puffers would work though and they'd love as many plants as possible.

i would just buy a 20 gallon setup. you can find them online pretty cheap and then you can have a happy puffer and some BBGs. I had a 29 gallon with about 20 gallons of water and i had a mudskipper, f8, 6 BBGs and a "freshwater flounder" they were all very happy nobody got picked on.

To comment on the plants. I was never successful in keeping any plants alive in brackish water.

Back
Top Bottom