Filling in a 10 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

picture_117

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So one of my many 10 gallons is done cycling, I know it is going to have ember tetras (maybe a kind of pygmy or CPD's), but what can I add as the main fish?

I already have gouramis so I was leaning towards those, but I need input on the kind of gourami. Also a Peacock gudgeon, but I'm not sure about the compatibility.

Any help? :D

Hi! A small school of about 6-8 Ember tetras, chili rasbora or celestial pearl danio (I have these, very pretty fish) would be fine in a 10 gal. I also did some quick searching on your Peacock Gudgeon as I wasn't familiar with them (pretty!) and it seems like they are peaceful and should be OK with the smaller fish but I'm not 100% sure on that maybe someone else can say for sure. You could also add some Pygmy Corys. Or instead of the Gudgeon you could do a Dwarf Gourami.

My other concern is what levels these fish like to swim on. My CPDs tend to stay near the bottom most of the time (not sure about the other nano fish like ember tetra but I'm willing to bet it's about the same) as will the Corys. If the Gudgeon is a bottom-dweller too that may cause some overcrowding on the bottom of the tank; again maybe someone else can say for sure.

But on first glance a small school of nano fish, the Gudgeon or Dwarf Gourami and a group of Corys would be a lovely tank!

Thanks for the reply!!
I'll be going to the lfs today so I can see what more they have. As far as the gouramis, what kind can go in there?

Like pearl, blue, honey, sparkling, maybe a Giant Gourami? (lol kidding!)

My lfs has a bunch of different varieties so I don't really know which work.

Most people probably would not agree, but I have a blue (3-spot) gourami in my tank and it seems very happy! They get to be around 4 inches (mine is fully grown now and still has plenty of room to swim). Fun to watch--active and gets along great with my other tropical community fish

If your going to put a gourami make sure it's a Dwarf. I couldn't image putting my full grown golden gourami in a 10g 

Make sure all the fish are temperature compatible. Some mentioned like warmer waters than others.

A small school of about 6-8 Ember tetras, chili rasbora or celestial pearl danio. You could also add some Pygmy Corys.

I think this tank right here would be very cool!

Better give us some pictures when you're done :D

I already have 2 tanks with dwarf gourami, a flame & powder blue color variety.

Which other kind of gourami can go in a 10 gallon?

& I will post the pics up!! I decided to wait until I know exactly what to get lol.

I was at my LFS today, but they were busy and I had to be somewhere by 6:30 so I couldnt wait to be helped so I'll be back Wednesday!

But I did see blind cave tetras!!!! I didn't know anyone around me sold them, also dwarf pencil fish. Some killifish, & lots of different tetras.

Im on my way home with some killifish.
Aphyosemion Australe Killifish(Gold) pair to be exact :)
I'll post pics of them in the drip acclimation hanging container as soon as they're set up. They look good!

I breed those. I'd have to say they aren't the greatest choice to mix with a gourami. It may work, but keep a close eye. They may harass him. Also I would highly recommend additional females. Atleast one more. Killies don't do great in pairs because the female gets harassed a lot.

It's just them in their own tank! I added in a bunch of java moss and driftwood forming caves.

Hmm so I would need another female in there?

Oh dang I'm sorry I got that wrong lol. :) Java moss is perfect. They will give you babies ;) Yes yes add another female. This is why I hate selling my killies to the lfs..they will sell them in pairs and I really don't think they should be kept that way.

Yeah all they had them were in pairs, these and the red lago variety.

Well since you breed them, any pointers, tips, and/or advice? Lol

Since my lfs only has them in pairs would you happen to have any for sale? Or are willing to sale?

& thanks! They've lost some color on the way here, they were stunning in the tank at my lfs.

Back
Top Bottom