Filter advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snakebite

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I currently have a 75g aquarium and am in the process of selecting my filtration. Currently I have two options that are available. I can go with a SunSun 304B or an AC110 and an AC50. Both options are brand new and being gifted. Just wondering your thoughts and reasons as to why you would choose one setup over the other. Hoping to stock with either three medium sized cichlids 8" full grown (don't think I could go with more) or 4-6 smaller guys such as firemouths or convicts etc. There is a small chance I may go with a single Oscar or Jaguar though.. That however is a long shot. Would the filtration options be good for the above possibilities? Thanks for any tips!!

Snakebite

I'm a 'canister' guy, so my recommendation will be obvious. I've worked with HOB
Filters, but I found canister filters quieter, more options for filter media to meet the tank's needs. I live in Florida, so facing the wand up to agitate the surface adds to evaporative cooling, the tank can be set further back to the wall, cleaner appearance
when there's less hanging off the back of the tank, and I've had better results with canisters... having said all that, filter maintenance is more work, but no messier once you get a system down. To me a more than fair trade off.

You should still consider a backup filter down the road if you go with the sunsun. I kept my Cascade 700 when I upgraded a few days ago to a 1200. The old backup was a Cascade 300 HOB.

Yeah AC are the only way to go for HOB. I run two AC70s in my 48 gallon and that tank is pristine. I can also regulate the flow so that's nice too.

Sna...

Whoa! You don't have to spend a lot for tank filtration. If you're a good water changer, you can use simple, dual sponge filtration. Two of the dual filters will easily aerate and filter a larger tank. Sponge filters are simple and run $10.00 shipped. You will have to change at least half the tank water weekly to keep up a steady, healthy water chemistry.

Tank filters don't keep the water waste free, they simply take in toxic water and return the water to the tank a bit less toxic. By changing most of the tank water weekly, you eliminate the need for high end filtration.

But, if you have deep pockets, then go with a canister. Supposedly, they work best for larger tanks. Frankly, I don't believe they're better than a good sponge filter.

B

Thanks folks, appreciate the feedback. I've run a Rena XP4 on a 75 gallon previously as well as an AC 110. From what I recall, I can't say one out performed the other. I perform routine water changes to help keep clean. Just want to have enough filtration and water flow for the stock I'm looking at. I've heard peoe say two canisters are needed on a 75.

I've heard people say two canisters are needed on a 75.
It's not necessary, as there are filters that can easily produce the GPH necessary to filter the tank. It's always good to have a backup though, and the 2nd filter would produce added circulation/water movement which is necessary for reef aquariums and even certain species of fish. I'd think yet another variable would be the height of the tank and stand, as GPH is reduced the higher the pump has to push the water.

Consider all the different eco-systems an aquarium can support, and it's easy to see how filtration would have a large number of variations.

Good Luck with the 75!! I love big tanks... I was real close to going from a 55 to a 90, but I cringed at the thought of water changes as I don't have the plumbing/set up to make such a large tank a logistical possibility.

Back
Top Bottom