Filter Advice Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sheridonia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a whisper 2.0 filter that hangs on the back. I'm starting to think that the directions on the filter to change the "disposable filter" once a month was my tanks downfall. Do I really need to change the filter or just leave it be?

Don't throw away filter media unless it is falling apart, and even then don't throw it out without having some other established filter media still in the filter. If it gets clogged, rinse it in some old tank water.
This is because a lot of beneficial bacteria live in your filter, and you need those to keep the nitrogen cycle going in your tank.:)

I have had the same media in one of my filters for over 4 years and its still in great condition! I just rinse them in a bucket of old tank water and they are good to go!

I dont think you need to replace it every 4 weeks :) You can wash it using tank water when you see that there is lot of accumulation and the water is not passing through it.

Back
Top Bottom