Filter and Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had one of the tetra heaters and it never actually turned on but that was a couple of years ago so I will try that first since its the cheapest and I can get faster shipping. I looked at the 100w one and most people had them for 25g or more. That won't affect my tank right? That just means it won't work as hard?

Using a large heater on a 3g tank might be a bit overkill. I'm not sure how sensitive the thermostat is on those heaters but they will most likely heat the water faster than the thermostat can regulate it. I would opt for the smaller version of the heater if at all possible

Btw for all who replied. I told my husband that the pleco wouldn't be able to fit into the tank by the time it's full grown and he told me he knew. He manipulated me so we could by a bigger fish tank!!!

This is what's I bought for $15 at LFS and he said when I transport it to keep everything wet and that when I move in August I can just put new water in since the filter should be established?

That sound right?

Attachments

• image-3878587120.jpg
    image-3878587120.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 57
It's in and started set at the lowest possible setting for my betta. The poor guy was getting flung for a few while we figured it out. And by the way they need to make the directions for idiots. It took us five minutes when all you had to do is fill it up and turn the knob. And obviously plug it in.

But I am so excited about it!!!

One question: Will I be able to tell in my white blocks which he called "media" if there is bacteria on them?

It's in and started set at the lowest possible setting for my betta. The poor guy was getting flung for a few while we figured it out. And by the way they need to make the directions for idiots. It took us five minutes when all you had to do is fill it up and turn the knob. And obviously plug it in.

But I am so excited about it!!!

One question: Will I be able to tell in my white blocks which he called "media" if there is bacteria on them?

You won't be able to tell without a lot of effort and some expensive equipment. The bacteria will continuously be growing on the filter media while it is in the tank. You will know its there by testing the water parameters on your tank to see if there is any ammonia / nitrites in the water. When those disappear your bacteria is well stocked on that filter.

More questions!! Yeah!! Hubs gets paid on the 5th so if anyone can give me a book for freshwater care and maintance that would be awesome so i am not constantly asking you guys. I trying not to clog up the forum so I am putting multiple questions on one post.

I took a picture of my water. I haven't done a reading and was going to wait till tomorrow but if its important to help the problem I will gladly do it. My water is dirty in my tank. I am doing water 1 gallon water changes for my 3 gallon tank either every two or three days. Because I am now confused lol. I am not supposed to clean my tank all the way because it is cycling. As I have previously posted I am doing a cycle with a betta and a pleco.( Looking for a 40+ gallon fish tank) my readings 25 hours ago were good I think they are on this post actually. It doesn't stink and my fish are moving around much more freely. (Every time the light gets turned on at night the pleco plays his version of musical chairs lol.

With my tank being so small and not being able to completely clean it how do I keep the water semi clean? I read sometimes dirty water isn't a bad thing depending on the color. (Would like a fact check on that someone please) And if I can completely clean it will I have to keep re-cycling it? Like I said I am confused. And sorry for the long post

This is my water it's next to a pretty white wall ands mahogany jewelry box.

Attachments

• image-1707927620.jpg
    image-1707927620.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 51
More questions!! Yeah!! Hubs gets paid on the 5th so if anyone can give me a book for freshwater care and maintance that would be awesome so i am not constantly asking you guys. I trying not to clog up the forum so I am putting multiple questions on one post.

I took a picture of my water. I haven't done a reading and was going to wait till tomorrow but if its important to help the problem I will gladly do it. My water is dirty in my tank. I am doing water 1 gallon water changes for my 3 gallon tank either every two or three days. Because I am now confused lol. I am not supposed to clean my tank all the way because it is cycling. As I have previously posted I am doing a cycle with a betta and a pleco.( Looking for a 40+ gallon fish tank) my readings 25 hours ago were good I think they are on this post actually. It doesn't stink and my fish are moving around much more freely. (Every time the light gets turned on at night the pleco plays his version of musical chairs lol.

With my tank being so small and not being able to completely clean it how do I keep the water semi clean? I read sometimes dirty water isn't a bad thing depending on the color. (Would like a fact check on that someone please) And if I can completely clean it will I have to keep re-cycling it? Like I said I am confused. And sorry for the long post

A lot of books that I've seen were a bit out of date on their standards, that being said ask away. We don't mind answering questions. As for the % water change I would plan on doing a 50 - 75% water change every few days. It won't mess up the cycle because a very minimal amount of bacteria is stored in the water column. Instead it is all found on the substrate and in the filter.

So between a 2 gallon water change (I barely passed math and science every year after the sixth grade beat with me guys) and cleaning my tank my water should start clearing up? And it said online somewhere to wipe down the inside of the tank, with what? My new water? I have a water jug I put my new tank water in and let it sit for 2-3 days and then add the water conditioner. Should I just use that? And I don't have a gravel vacuum? Any suggestions on another method? Or somehow to make one

So between a 2 gallon water change (I barely passed math and science every year after the sixth grade beat with me guys) and cleaning my tank my water should start clearing up? And it said online somewhere to wipe down the inside of the tank, with what? My new water? I have a water jug I put my new tank water in and let it sit for 2-3 days and then add the water conditioner. Should I just use that? And I don't have a gravel vacuum? Any suggestions on another method? Or somehow to make one

Most of the time cloudy water is caused by a bacterial bloom. They almost always happen when cycling a tank and will go away on its own. Water changes wont make it go away for very long and its not harmful to fish, I would just let it go. I would avoid rubbing the side of the tank as that is one of the surfaces your bacteria is going to grow on. The aged water you are using is perfectly fine and generally a good idea to use. With a tank that small a gravel vac might be a difficult thing to use but they make fairly small ones for nano tanks.

Back
Top Bottom