Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Filter and lighting advice

Setting up a brakish tank for mudskippers and gobies. Done all my research except one questions. How long do I leave filter and light running . I mean is this constant or turn off overnight ??

Old 06-02-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Filters should be left on all the time. This helps beneficial bacteria which will aid biological filtration. If you turn the filter off during the night then all the healthy bacteria will die. Hope this helps

Old 06-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #3

Cheers thanks. Also I seem to be losing two inches of water a day in evaporation is this normal ??
Old 06-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How big is the tank? How warm is your house and is there a lid on the tank? I lose a few gallons a day in my 180g and almost that much in my 90g. Just depends on the ambient temperature in the house and if lids are being used.
Just make sure to top off with non salted water, as the salt will not evaporate, just the pure water will.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:56 AM   #5

Ok so I have 140L / 30 gal tank. I'm getting it ready for a mudskipper paludarium. I've not put the salt in yet to make it brakish. The problem is I'm losing two inches a day in evaporation. I can't have this if it's going to be a 70/30 split or I'm going to be topping up daily
Old 06-03-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

That is a lot of evaporation per day. What kind of cover is on the tank? Glass? Or is it open? I have not owned mudskippers but I am guessing that they would benefit from high humidity.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #7

Yes high humid yum just starting out. As you can see the tank lid has some area where air and water vapour can escape but surely completely blocking all air is bad ???Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401799986.861113.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	239277
Old 06-03-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I'd leave the gaps that are already there for gas exchange since the evaporation rate is so high.
What kind of filtration are you using? Is there a lot of splashing or agitation (this can increase evaporation)?
Is the relative humidity low in your house?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #9

I have a spray bar now you come to mention it and it's landing on the water should I put something to break the waters fall ?? Not added salt yet as I want to control the water first.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a brackish tank with a puffer in, if the water surface is too violent you lose loads of water, I have the outlet just below the surface rather than just breaking or falling. Also I don't use an air stone, I find the bubbles remove lots of salty water leaving deposits all over the place, salt creep.
This all makes a massive difference per week for evaporation.
The tank is open topped.

What Carey says is true, the salt doesn't evaporate. Depending on the range the skippers live in you will need some kind of salinity measuring device, you can use a hydrometer or refractometer. You may already have such a device.

(Great fish by the way, post some pics if you can)

It's better to keep check on the salty water more often than fresh, at least to begin with, once you are settled and more confident it's a cinch.

J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, filter, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com