Filter & stocking question - possible new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RandomGal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first post, but I've been searching this site for advice and information for awhile now. I've got some questions about a used aquarium I'm thinking of purchasing, so I thought I'd ask (after spending a few hours reading many different sites & opinions).

Firstly, the tank I'm looking at is a 70 gallon, which I'll be setting up as a freshwater community tank. I won't have live plants right away, but might move in that direction in the future. The tank is being sold with an Eheim 2215 canister filter. Is this enough for a 70 gallon tank? I'm thinking not, and if that's the case, should I be looking at a different filter entirely, or a second filter to complement the 2215?

Secondly, the tank comes with a few fish. The seller is not very familiar with aquariums, so I'm guessing about fish species from his descriptions. There are:

2 red finned sharks - either rainbow or red tailed black, probably rainbow
1 yellow & black striped shark - I'm thinking this is a tiger barb
1 9" suckerfish - Common Pleco (I spotted him in one of the photos in the ad)
A few other fish he's not able to identify

In addition, I have 9 Espe's Rasbora and 2 Fancy Guppies I'd want to move from my 10 gallon into this 70 gallon. I have concerns about the compatibility of these new fish with my group though. I'm also not sure how compatible the new group are with each other to begin with.

If anyone can offer any insight, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Welcome to AA! :)

I always recommend going with two filters and generally a large HOB in addition to a canister is a good combo. I'm not familiar with the 2215, but it should do the work for a properly cared for 75. As far as the fish go, the "suckerfish" is likely a common pleco and will be a tank buster. The "red finned sharks" are best kept singly and will nip long fins (guppies) IME. No idea what the "yellow & black striped shark" might be. If you can ask for pics of the fish, I'm sure folks can help ID them for you.

This is my first post, but I've been searching this site for advice and information for awhile now. I've got some questions about a used aquarium I'm thinking of purchasing, so I thought I'd ask (after spending a few hours reading many different sites & opinions).

Firstly, the tank I'm looking at is a 70 gallon, which I'll be setting up as a freshwater community tank. I won't have live plants right away, but might move in that direction in the future. The tank is being sold with an Eheim 2215 canister filter. Is this enough for a 70 gallon tank? I'm thinking not, and if that's the case, should I be looking at a different filter entirely, or a second filter to complement the 2215?

Secondly, the tank comes with a few fish. The seller is not very familiar with aquariums, so I'm guessing about fish species from his descriptions. There are:

2 red finned sharks - either rainbow or red tailed black, probably rainbow
1 yellow & black striped shark - I'm thinking this is a tiger barb
1 9" suckerfish - Common Pleco (I spotted him in one of the photos in the ad)
A few other fish he's not able to identify

In addition, I have 9 Espe's Rasbora and 2 Fancy Guppies I'd want to move from my 10 gallon into this 70 gallon. I have concerns about the compatibility of these new fish with my group though. I'm also not sure how compatible the new group are with each other to begin with.

If anyone can offer any insight, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

If you want to do plants after a few months you may consider buying a plant substrate. Most people like to use Ecocomplete. May save you some time if you start with it and move into plants in a few months, rather than tearing your tank apart. Just a thought.

For filtration, like HN1 said...2 HOB filters or a HOB and a canister. Over filtration is the best way to go. Most people like Aquaclear for HOB filters. Canisters are usually Fluval and maybe Rena or Eheim.
Technically a Ehim 2215 would be enough but a HOB would give you extra space to build up BB.

For rainbow or red tailed sharks. I know rainbows are intolerant of their own kind so you could probably get 1. I'd hate to see you get 2 and have a problem. You could get 1 of each and that would be fine.

If you are wanting to do a community tank, I would say no to Tiger Barbs for sure. They are nippy fish and would need a large school to keep them from nipping everything. They are SA fish.

I would recommend not keeping the common pleco. You could see if a LFS would take it. It will only get bigger and it will be a hassle. You could get a BN Pleco or a species that stays smaller and you could keep it much longer with no problems. Plus, if you wanted to get plants eventually a large common would run everything over and uproot plants.

The sharks (should be) and a pleco will be fine with guppies and rasbora. I've never kept rainbow or red tailed in a community tank. My Rainbow is in a SA tank.

I dealt with people selling tanks on Craigslist when I was looking for my 150 or 180 gallon tank and it's tough. If you post the pictures people might be able to confirm the ID's.

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at Aquaclear HOB filters - would a 70 or 110 be overkill, do you think, or should I look at something a bit smaller?

The only fish you can see in the photos in the ad is the Common Pleco. I'm going by the descriptions the seller emailed me. I'll have a better idea of things once I go to see the tank - I just wanted a basic grasp before I get there and have to make a decision.

IMO there is no such thing as overkill unless it's a small tank which would be too much current. I like over filtration. If you are keeping the Eheim 2215, either Aquaclear would be fine. I'd do with the 110 just so you have more filtration for a little more price. I would buy them online on Amazon instead of at the stores.
With a 70g tank and any combination of those filters wouldn't be overkill.

The 110 or 70 would be a good choice IMO. Overkill is good when it comes to filtration and water changes.

Back
Top Bottom