Filter Changeout Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoobcake

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my 30G has been up and running for a month now and I would like to change my filter. After taking a peak in there it looks pretty dirty. However I do not want to lose my bacteria. Im still in the middle of getting this tank cycled, ( ammonia still rises about .125ppm over 24 hrs along with nitrite about the same with nitrates steadily rising) and I dont want to ruin it. Is it ok to change the filter outright or should I just crack it open and change out the carbon. maybe rinse the filter with tank water during a PWC?

Honestly, i would not touch it for awhile esp because your trying to get your tank cycled. Its supposed to look 'dirty'! Unless water is not flowing through it because its clogged with stuff, leave it be. If water is not flowing/debris stuck all over it, then i would swish it around in a bucket of tank water. Once your tank is cycled, you can consider gradually changing some filter aspects in the future (ie-removing the carbon & replace with something else). Im sure others will have some suggestions as well!

Well what i mean is I think the carbon in the cartridge is only good for a set amount of time which I understood to be around 1 month. I was thinking if I open the cartridge, remove the old carbon, and then replace it with fresh activated carbon I'd be good to go. Not sure if my understanding of that is correct though.

You don't have to replace the filter just because it looks dirty. It's suppose to have a little filth on it. If it gets to the point where it's impeding the water flow, just rinse or off in a bucket of water after a pwc. You don't need activated carbon in the cartridge either. Most members on AA don't even use it (at least so I've heard).

So the cartridge just serves as a place for bacteria to grow and to filter large debris?

Ya pretty much. You really only need carbon if you're trying to remove meds from the water. The carbons effects only last a few weeks anyway.

Well what i mean is I think the carbon in the cartridge is only good for a set amount of time which I understood to be around 1 month. I was thinking if I open the cartridge, remove the old carbon, and then replace it with fresh activated carbon I'd be good to go. Not sure if my understanding of that is correct though.
The carbon does get used up (so to speak) but you really dont need to replace it with new carbon. You could empty it out & fill the cartridge with other materials (sponge, polyfill, biomax, etc) that dont have to be replaced & increase the surface area for your bacteria to live. Lets see what others have to say!

Hmm that does make a good deal of sense. I was just worried about chemicals, minerals, and other stuff already in my tap water not sure if carbon would help with that or not. I would like to have more movable surfaces areas for bacteria to grow though because I have a 10 gallon i would like to start cycling too. Any advice on moving media to that tank when this one becomes fully cycled?

Stuff as much porous stuff into your filter as possible once this tank is cycled. Leave it there for a few weeks & then transfer it to your new filter. Or, just run your new filter on this tank once its cycled for a few weeks & you should be able to transfer the new filter to your new tank for an (almost) instant cycle. I run the filter for my one smaller qt tank on my big tank in the event i need an instantly cycled qt tank. The chemicals & heavy metals will be detoxified by your water conditioner so whether the carbon is really necessary is questionable.

Awesome. Thanks for the quick responses! Any idea where I can pick up some more materials to stuff into my filter. Will just a new house hold sponge work?

I would be a bit hesitant to use a new household sponge. Look for something a bit more porous. Some people use new polyfil (stuff in pillows)-you can get a big bag cheap at craft store. I have foam filter inserts from aquaclear ($4 on amazon for lg sz box) that i cut to fit whatever i need. I have heard some people use real sea sponges. If you do a search on here for filter media, you will probably find ALOT of other ideas on what to use! Good luck with your new tanks!!

Back
Top Bottom