Filter choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a AquaClear 50 on my 20 gallon tank and it does very well. You could get a AquaClear 70 or 110 for your tank. A canister filter like the other person suggested would probably be better, if you are willing to spend the extra money.

I have a AquaClear 50 on my 20 gallon tank and it does very well. You could get a AquaClear 70 or 110 for your tank. A canister filter like the other person suggested would probably be better, if you are willing to spend the extra money.

Are canister filters really that much better ?

Hello bluz...

I have two Hagen AC 50s on opposite ends of each my 55 gallon tanks. These hang on the back filters have been running for several years with no problems. Add regular, large water changes and you won't ever have to test the tank water, it will always be pure for the fish and plants.

B

Hello again bluz...

Canister filters will cost you 3 to 4 times what the standard HOB costs and I don't think they're 3 to 4 times better. Unless you have a high end tank with expensive fish, I don't think you need to use one of these. Keep the water clean with large, weekly water changes and your tank will be fine with the standard filter equipment.

B

Are canister filters really that much better ?

I mean they're not SOOO much better. If I had the money I would get a canister over a HOB. I don't think a canister is worth all the extra money though. A HOB would be fine.

I'd vote for the Aqua Clear too. Reliable, quiet, easy to clean, media can be anything you want to use, in any amount that will fit. Flow is somewhat adjustable. You can fit a prefilter on the intake tube quite easily, to stop fish or fry from being sucked up.

Parts very easy to get, not outrageously costly. My #1 filter choice.

Eheim 2217. I prefer the asthetic look of a canister over HOB filters. Theyre easier to position if your tank is tight against a wall. Small canisters will hold more media than larger hob filters making them more biologically sound too.

You can get an off brand canister filter on eBay for 50-60 bucks!!! I haven't used them personally but just reading about them they seem much better then HOBs. The off brands are good for up to 100 gallons too!!!

I like the canister because its hidden, holds a lot of media, and doesn't make a sound... At all! It's great. I am running an Eheim pro series canister and couldn't be happier. I know a lot of folks here run the HOBs, but for me, the canister was worth every cent.

I have an AquaClear 70 on my 27g tank.
They are great filters, clean very well, lots of suction and water flow, and you can add your own custom media (which I went overboard with). Mine personally is not 100% quiet, but not loud either. Only uses 5 watts of electricity power. Mine also has some slight bypass (less than 10%) but that could be due to the fact I went overboard with custom media and have the filter on full flow control.

If I had a choice though, id still choose canister. (I might eventually get one on my 27g tank, I love over-filtering) In my opinion they are just better filters. They do cost more to buy, and have higher wattage, but most are dead silent, and do clean better. For 55g id personally get an Eheim canister. (Eheim is my favourite brand).

Its up to you really, and how much you would like to spend. You cant really go wrong either way.

I have no experience with eheim but I only hear good things. I recommend rena/API XP filters and the Fluval 400's. You can find these for good deals locally on craigslist or eBay. I rarely buy brand new filters unless I have no other choice.

Back
Top Bottom