Filter exchange while cycling!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not a bad idea, but what is its primary purpose? Most bettas, especially veil tails and plakats don't have large issues with flow from those filters. Bettas such as the one in my profile pic with exceptionally large fins can have blow outs from the flow

I think my Sparkle is bored, he was swimming against class tank most of the time. Since the floating log became my baffle, he always tries to swim through it, lol. Btw, the result of today:
Ammo: 0.50 ppm (drop half)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: almost 50ppm ( more red than 40 but less than 80)

image-4972038.jpg

I just changed 30% water from the bucket and dose 30 ml TSS. So far it's a big fail, neither ammo chips or zeolite remove ammo. It's stable at 1.0!!! Is my tank almost done?
I did vacuum the gravel like 35% to collect my giant betta's waste. Will it remove my BB?

I think my Sparkle is bored, he was swimming against class tank most of the time. Since the floating log became my baffle, he always tries to swim through it, lol. Btw, the result of today:
Ammo: 0.50 ppm (drop half)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: almost 50ppm ( more red than 40 but less than 80)

I just changed 30% water from the bucket and dose 30 ml TSS. So far it's a big fail, neither ammo chips or zeolite remove ammo. It's stable at 1.0!!! Is my tank almost done?
I did vacuum the gravel like 35% to collect my giant betta's waste. Will it remove my BB?

It will remove some BB but not enough to matter. It is strange however that they aren't removing any ammonia.

You should be almost done. I would say probably 3-4 more days. Possibly up to a week. It's hard to tell with these kinds of things. Once you are seeing 0 on ammonia and nitrite then it's all finished. I wouldn't add more than 1 or 2 fish at that point though.

It will remove some BB but not enough to matter. It is strange however that they aren't removing any ammonia.

You should be almost done. I would say probably 3-4 more days. Possibly up to a week. It's hard to tell with these kinds of things. Once you are seeing 0 on ammonia and nitrite then it's all finished. I wouldn't add more than 1 or 2 fish at that point though.

I succeeded, Mebbid! TSS day 4 results:

Ammo: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm or over
PH: 7.6 to 8.0 (both high ph and regular ph test)

image-182289556.jpg

Not bad. Have you thought about what other fish you want in your tank?

Nope, but i really do. My boy is 3 1/2" and he's so agressive, i don't know much about choose his tank mates. Can u tell me some info? Btw, i accidentally over fed him yesterday and seems like he can't poop today. There is a poop string hangs with him, what can i do? The part in the middle near his tail is a lil big...

Nope, but i really do. My boy is 3 1/2" and he's so agressive, i don't know much about choose his tank mates. Can u tell me some info? Btw, i accidentally over fed him yesterday and seems like he can't poop today. There is a poop string hangs with him, what can i do? The part in the middle near his tail is a lil big...

You could try harlequin rasboras. They will fit in a 10g tank and should get along fairly well with a betta. Cory cats would work well also but I would wait a few weeks to add them. Both of those are schooling fish so I would do 4+

As for the poo.. Just let him do his thing :) If it's a problem you can just fast him for 1 day.

You could try harlequin rasboras. They will fit in a 10g tank and should get along fairly well with a betta. Cory cats would work well also but I would wait a few weeks to add them. Both of those are schooling fish so I would do 4+

As for the poo.. Just let him do his thing :) If it's a problem you can just fast him for 1 day.

4+ each type?

If you are going to do both then I would only do 4 of them. It should be a good stocking on a 10g tank.

Do u have any exp with live plants too? I have intention to change my led to fluorescent hood? Grow some real things to make my tank more beautiful and reduce nitrate

Do u have any exp with live plants too? I have intention to change my led to fluorescent hood? Grow some real things to make my tank more beautiful and reduce nitrate

I certainly do. What power of lighting are you thinking? Each will have its good and bad sides.

Low lighting will be the lowest cost and easiest to take care of but also has a tiny selection of plants.

Medium lighting has a fairly large number of plants that can be grown although it can be difficult to find a carpeting plant that will work. Plants will grow well under this without getting out of control. a carbon source such as excel and fertilizers are recommended at this light level. My 55g is a medium light tank.

High lighting is the most upkeep and will let you grow pretty much any plant. The plants will be growing very fast under this light so regular trimming will be a necessity. Carbon and ferts are a necessity at this level. I would like to add that it's amazing seeing your plants grow and your tank change this quickly.

I certainly do. What power of lighting are you thinking? Each will have its good and bad sides.

Low lighting will be the lowest cost and easiest to take care of but also has a tiny selection of plants.

Medium lighting has a fairly large number of plants that can be grown although it can be difficult to find a carpeting plant that will work. Plants will grow well under this without getting out of control. a carbon source such as excel and fertilizers are recommended at this light level. My 55g is a medium light tank.

High lighting is the most upkeep and will let you grow pretty much any plant. The plants will be growing very fast under this light so regular trimming will be a necessity. Carbon and ferts are a necessity at this level. I would like to add that it's amazing seeing your plants grow and your tank change this quickly.

I have no exp at all. First, do we need sth black that stays under gravel layer, lol? How do we choose plants? How we clean with gravel and that black thing? Sorry for being such a noob over here :) As u mentioned about lights above, i want sth blue that can produces whit light like my led

I have no exp at all. First, do we need sth black that stays under gravel layer, lol? How do we choose plants? How we clean with gravel and that black thing? Sorry for being such a noob over here :) As u mentioned about lights above, i want sth blue that can produces whit light like my led

I think you are referring to a dirted tank. No, that's completely unnecessary, fairly advanced, and can potentially cause issues.

Plants will grow in just about any kind of substrate. I use black sandblasting sand in my 55g and flourite in my 10g. A plant specific substrate for a small tank isn't a big expense but you can still expect to pay about $20 for one.

Finally, you don't need to clean the substrate in a planted tank. The plants will absorb any excess nutrients that seep down to their roots.

You can pick plants by going to AquariumPlants.com They have a fairly sizable number of plants for sale and list the light requirements for most of them. You can use that for a good rule of thumb. Some of my favs are Limnophila Hippuroides, green temple leaf hygro, staurogyne repens, and telanthera rosefolia.

I would also suggest that you make a new thread on the planted tank forums so you can get some input from other people on starting out a planted tank.

I think you are referring to a dirted tank. No, that's completely unnecessary, fairly advanced, and can potentially cause issues.

Plants will grow in just about any kind of substrate. I use black sandblasting sand in my 55g and flourite in my 10g. A plant specific substrate for a small tank isn't a big expense but you can still expect to pay about $20 for one.

Finally, you don't need to clean the substrate in a planted tank. The plants will absorb any excess nutrients that seep down to their roots.

You can pick plants by going to AquariumPlants.com They have a fairly sizable number of plants for sale and list the light requirements for most of them. You can use that for a good rule of thumb. Some of my favs are Limnophila Hippuroides, green temple leaf hygro, staurogyne repens, and telanthera rosefolia.

I would also suggest that you make a new thread on the planted tank forums so you can get some input from other people on starting out a planted tank.

Thanks a bunch! I'll try to practice with plans when my tank is fully cycled. In the mean time, I over spoiled my fish by feeding him too much. His swim bladder is getting bigger and he's floating vertically at the top of my tank. Gotta fast him in a couple days. Btw, will pea or dried daphnia work?

Back
Top Bottom