filter for 90 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am looking at either a Penguin 350 or Emperor 400. anyone have either one of these? can you tell me what the difference is? Is one better than the other for a 90 gallon. I think both will work. what do you think?:thanks:

Eh i dont recommend the penguin. Partly because it doesnt last long and eventually the biowheel usually wont work, partly because that is definitly not enough filtration for a 90 gallon tank. Look into canister filters, or buy 2 Aquaclear 110's

Gboy66 said:
Eh i dont recommend the penguin. Partly because it doesnt last long and eventually the biowheel usually wont work, partly because that is definitly not enough filtration for a 90 gallon tank. Look into canister filters, or buy 2 Aquaclear 110's

Have to agree here.

Gboy66 said:

+1
90g a huge tank (well it is to me!) and will require a lot of filtration. I'd recommend getting a canister.

I agree that a canister would be the way to go for you. You would need like 3 HOB filters to get good filtration. I have 2 on my 55g and it is considered over filtered, but that is better than under filtered. (y)

so if I go with the aquaclear 110s what part of the filter stuff do you change and what do you not? not sure I quite understand all the operation of this item.

do I have this correct? foam part I just rinse every couple of weeks. carbon filter change when? monthly? bio stuff - leave in for a really long time? like 3 months or something? Obviosly I need some help here!!
:thanks::thanks::thanks:

Carbon you don't need to run at all unless your are removing meds. Foam pad I rinse half my pads every week in aquarium water. And bio media should stay in there until it is falling apart.

iadubber said:
Carbon you don't need to run at all unless your are removing meds. Foam pad I rinse half my pads every week in aquarium water. And bio media should stay in there until it is falling apart.

+1
You can swish your biomedia in tank water to clean it off as well. don't replace anything until its falling apart.

is this the same filter I would use if I got a 75 gallon tank as well? I think I want the 90 gallon, but I am having trouble finding one. I can find the 75 gallon one no problem

also, does the bio media go in the bottom, then the foam on top of that? otherwise I am removing the bio media all the time right?

HeatherW said:
is this the same filter I would use if I got a 75 gallon tank as well? I think I want the 90 gallon, but I am having trouble finding one. I can find the 75 gallon one no problem

Yes you can run 2 aquaclears on a 75 no problem. :)

I run 1 or 2 aquaclear 110's on all my 75's and the 90, 2 on the 125, and 3 on the 220. Only media I normally use in them are 2 of the sponge blocks, and rinse them out with partial water changes when the flow rate slows down.

Back
Top Bottom