Filter Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haho

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new here, so first off, hello

Apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section of the forums. Now to it, I recently purchased a 14 gallon aquarium kit. Included tank, filter, light bar/hood, net, heater, etc. Got the tank setup and working properly.

After tank was ready for fish I found some peaceful livestock. Everything seemed fine until Murphy and his law decided to strike. The filter stopped functioning and after trying all suggested methods and a few others to get it working it was apparent it was dead. Went out and purchased two 10 gallon filters because it's all that was available that time of night.

Well I would like to replace these filters so that I don't have two running into a tank. Plus the quality of the filters is questionable. Purchased at a major chain store and don't even have an actual brand name printed on them. So shopping for something more reliable and of higher quality.

So I am looking for filter suggestions from the community for Hang On Back power filters. I was looking at the Penn Plax Cascade 100 and also the Tetra Whisper PF 20. Ive read the Cascade 100 has excellent filtration and is quiet enough you barely hear it functioning. Ive also read good things about the Whisper 20, but have also read about it's media getting clogged to easily and stories of it's motor not restarting 2 out of 3 times after a power outage.

Wondering if anyone owns one of these filters and can confirm or deny the strength and weakness of said filters. Or possibly someone has a suggestion for a different HOB power filter. Sorry for the long winded post. But I am just concerned about the quality of life of my newest family members and thus need a quality filter. Any help is appreciated and thanks for your time.

I have a whisper 60 and after about a year it isn't a whisper anymore, as a matter of fact it got so loud my upstairs neighbors could hear it! and the filter media does clog rather quickly but I can not say whether it is better or worse then your other option. I will be upgrading to a 95g soon and with that will be using a custom built sump as I think this is the only way to get your exact needs met. For a 14 gallon IMO any brand name HOB will effectively do the trick as I am sure you will probably upgrade before your filter dies. Welcome to AA and I HTH.

For something that small take a look at the Penn-Plax cascade
http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/cainfiwispba.html

I've never used that retailer, but I can say that filter seems to be pretty sturdy. It works pretty good for small tanks, just be careful if you're trying it in a 2.5gallon or smaller tank. I found out the hard way that it will heat the water in something that small, and the outflow is a bit excessive...

I'm a huge fan of the aquaclear filters. They're HOB, have various options for media and last forever (I had the same one on a 10 gallon for 7 years and it wasn't new then...I actually still have it--the tanks just not currently set up). They're also quiet as long as you keep the water level high enough that it doesn't make a waterfall.

Thank you to everyone who has responded to the post. Your replies have been of great help in deciding which filter to get. After reading your input and on other sites I feel the AquaClear by Hagen would be a great choice.

Now my next question is if anyone knows of a reputable place online to purchase an AquaClear 20 HOB Power Filter. Cannot find an AquaClear in my area so online is the only option. Looking for a site that has good customer service, fair prices, and possibly quick.

Thanks for your time and help

Back
Top Bottom