Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2009, 11:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Exclamation Filter Maintenance - please help

I'm trying to figure out the best way to regularly maintain/clean my filters. I have a 55 gal with two filters. One is a Marineland C-360 Canister and the other is a Aqueon HOB that I got for free and am really just using to have a backup filter.

I added fish about 3 weeks ago after undergoing a month long fishless cycle. Since I'm getting around a month of having fish, I figure it's time to think about cleaning the filters.

For the canister, should I follow the manufacturer's recommendations of replacing the carbon bags and floss every month and cleaning everything else in tank water? I'm worried about killing off the bacteria.

For the HOB, it really just comes with two slides filled with carbon. I'm not sure how to clean these and the manufacturer recommends just replacing them every month. Should I just do that since I have another filter with bacteria established?

Old 10-21-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctypething View Post
I'm trying to figure out the best way to regularly maintain/clean my filters. I have a 55 gal with two filters. One is a Marineland C-360 Canister and the other is a Aqueon HOB that I got for free and am really just using to have a backup filter.

I added fish about 3 weeks ago after undergoing a month long fishless cycle. Since I'm getting around a month of having fish, I figure it's time to think about cleaning the filters.

For the canister, should I follow the manufacturer's recommendations of replacing the carbon bags and floss every month and cleaning everything else in tank water? I'm worried about killing off the bacteria.

I rinse my floss and keep it until it's literally not usable any longer. I dont run carbon in my tanks, I put some other filter material in its place. Some like to use carbon, others don't, the argument for it can go either way. Do water changes to keep your nitrates below 40, how often will depend on your set up. I do water changes of 50 percent every 2 weeks, more often if I feel the need to. The cleaner the water the better. You are correct to be concerned about the bacteria..

For the HOB, it really just comes with two slides filled with carbon. I'm not sure how to clean these and the manufacturer recommends just replacing them every month. Should I just do that since I have another filter with bacteria established?

Just rinse the cartridges in old tank water, replace when they are falling apart. If it has two cartridges, I would replace them one at the time so you don't trash your bio filter.
My thoughts are bolded, hth.

Tags
filter, maintenance

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com