Filter Media...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laurelhed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I know this is silly, but when someone says to get "filter media from a healthy established tank"- what kind of media am I getting? I know I can get gravel, but I have to do my first filter change on my new Aqueon filter, and I'm wondering "do I get an entire used filter bag from someone? Can I deconstruct one of those bags and add some stuff to my filter chamber without junk flying all over the tank?" Can I just get some floss or something? I appreciate any answers and so will my fish!

laurelhed said:
So, I know this is silly, but when someone says to get "filter media from a healthy established tank"- what kind of media am I getting? I know I can get gravel, but I have to do my first filter change on my new Aqueon filter, and I'm wondering "do I get an entire used filter bag from someone? Can I deconstruct one of those bags and add some stuff to my filter chamber without junk flying all over the tank?" Can I just get some floss or something? I appreciate any answers and so will my fish!

Example. I would give you a piece of my filter. The sponge part. Whether it be white, blue, grey whatever. You would put it into your filter in hopes that my media loaded with BB(beneficial bacteria) would seed your filter and tank. I've used whole filters if they fit, or have had pieces of sponge from someone else's filter. Whatever will work really. And what gunk? What's gonna be flying around? I've done this plenty of times and maybe I've seen a little residue swimming around but I was never worried as it could be carrying BB and would be getting all on my decor and stuff anything else and my filter would take of it.

Hope that helped.

Anything from an established tank will help to seed a new tank- gravel, plants, decorations, filter media (sponges, floss, bags, filters, biomax, etc) and so forth. Established filter media contains the largest amount of bacteria so this will be the most helpful in seeding a new tank. :)

What do you mean by "filter change"? Don't toss your old media. Just swish it around in old tank water to knock off the gunk and put it back in. When you toss you old media you are throwing away your BB.

Back
Top Bottom