filter media ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deltafishin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I spent a lot of time this weekend learning about filter media and realized my tank cycle slow down is probably directly associated to a subpar filter / media.

I have a 10g aqueon deluxe withe the whisper 10, carbon cartridge filter. The tank is on day 21 of the cycle and nitrites have not appeared. My thought is that today I am gong to get some pot scrubbers and filter sponge to load up my filter with more bio material.

My intention is to leave the cartridge in place for now get some material next to it and replace the cartridge with a more suitable media either sponge or Coarse foam.

My question is, is there a benefit to leaving the cartridge in there or is it ok to schedule a replacement phase even though my tank hasn't fully cycled? Ie add scrubbeies next to cartridge and add sponge at entry, two weeks pull cartridge cut open, pull out AC. Wrap old floss around new coarse sponge. And let her ride?

Or should I not do anything and let the current cartridge try to establish the bacteria?

I've used the Tetra Whisper filters before. The thing I like to do is rather than use the relatively expensive replacement filters is to make my own relatively cheap filters instead.

Buy the http://www.petsmart.com/fish/filter...d36-17130/cat-36-catid-300019?var_id=36-17130 or something similar. Custom cut pieces of filter to place in the bottom of the Whisper fileter.

Buy some sort of bio-pills. If the package is too big, buy some sort of aquarium filter media bag (or a clean set of knee-hi nylons) and put a few of the bio-pills in the media bag and place that on top of the filter.

The idea is that a beneficial bacteria colony will grow on the bio-pills that you never replace, while you allow the cut-to-size filter to screen out particals and replace that on a regular basis. I've even tried multiple layers of filter material where I start with the marineland filter on bottom, and a denser "scrubber" pad above it. But always keep the bio-pills to maintain your bacteria colony.

(That means don't ever rinse the bio-pills in facet water - only old tank water, and don't let them dry out).

Thank you, I added the scrubbeies and bio pills. Once the AC expires I will make my own filter and not use the replacement cartridge. I appreciate the assistance

Back
Top Bottom