Filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
side note about Purigen.
It works great and recharging it is relatively easy.
BUT it really isn't a complete replacement for quality carbon as they pull different things from the water. Seachem recommends using it in conjunction with carbon for the best effect. Because of it's affinity for organic/nitrogenous compounds, metals and other substances are not picked up by Purigen.
Personally I have had the best results in fresh water by using Chemi-Pure (carbon & ion exchange resins) and Purigen together as they do different things and compliment one another rather well.

Good to know. I honestly don't want any chemical filtration. I'm trying to make this tank as natural as possible, so I'm looking to replace the carbon with a non-chemical substance. I like the biomax product...is this strictly biological or is it chemical like purigen? Like I said, VERY new to this whole filtration world...only been in the hobby a year and everything I learned was from people who don't even know what the nitrogen cycle is. Luckily, my hubby is a chemist so he has been able to help me understand everything (and I hope to help him enjoy my new hobby!).

As far as removing any chemical-based options, what else could I research other than biomax?

Thanks for all the info thus far too! You all have been very helpful!:)

Bio Max is an inert ceramic media and is strictly biological (or physical in that it can trap debris).
I run sponge, floss, and ceramic media. The only times I would consider a chemical media is for the removals of toxins, tannins, and medicines.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can certainly maintain a tank nicely without using any chemical media.
In a biological media you want a lot of external AND internal surface area for bacteria to colonize.
The external surfaces will host aerobic bacteria to perform the nitrification cycle, producing nitrate as the final product.
The internal surfaces, having a lower oxygen level internally, help to support anaerobic bacteria which perform the de-nitrification cycle and break down the nitrate.

In freshwater nitrate levels are not of a major concern unless they get over 50ppm and can often be kept in check by the addition of live plants.

Seachems Matrix and De-Nitrate products are one of my favorites because they provide both external as well as internal surface area.
Seachem. Matrix

But there are numerous offering available that fulfill those requirements, ceramic, pumice lava rock, etc.

One other option if desiring a very low maintenance, natural set-up is using a Mattenfilter; Mattenfilter - SWISSTROPICALS

I am contemplating setting up one of these systems myself.

Sorry if it seems like bombarding you with info, but you asked...LOL

You can certainly maintain a tank nicely without using any chemical media.
In a biological media you want a lot of external AND internal surface area for bacteria to colonize.
The external surfaces will host aerobic bacteria to perform the nitrification cycle, producing nitrate as the final product.
The internal surfaces, having a lower oxygen level internally, help to support anaerobic bacteria which perform the de-nitrification cycle and break down the nitrate.

In freshwater nitrate levels are not of a major concern unless they get over 50ppm and can often be kept in check by the addition of live plants.

Seachems Matrix and De-Nitrate products are one of my favorites because they provide both external as well as internal surface area.
Seachem. Matrix

But there are numerous offering available that fulfill those requirements, ceramic, pumice lava rock, etc.

One other option if desiring a very low maintenance, natural set-up is using a Mattenfilter; Mattenfilter - SWISSTROPICALS

I am contemplating setting up one of these systems myself.

Sorry if it seems like bombarding you with info, but you asked...LOL

The more info, the better IMO!

I have plenty of plants and will be adding more. With 34 fish currently in the tank, it stays about 3-4ppm. And I do a 20% weekly wc. But that's been with the AC for 2 months. I've read it stops working after 4 weeks...is that true? If so, does that mean that it's been doing nothing for the last month? Because that would be great! Lol

*EDIT: 15 of the fish (young rummynose) were just added to the tank Friday, so I'm monitoring the levels by testing twice a day. Sorry for misleading...those nitrate numbers are per the original 19 fish, 2 of which are larger bottom feeders. However, so far none of the numbers have changed. :)

I really like that Mattenfilter! Would def. do that with any new setups! With this one though, I'd have to rearrange the whole tank so I'll stick with checking out all the biological media options--for now! I love the look of tank the way it is, I'm actually really really happy with it and don't want to change anything other than adding plants :)

With my current setup, would I be better starting with adding the new bio media to the shallow pocket where the output sponge filter is (in blue from the pic)? Or would it be better to put it in the deeper compartment just before the output (bottom of green in pic)?

Attachments

• 1453048312676.jpg
    1453048312676.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 46
I would put any biological media last in the order of flow before returning to the tank.
so I guess the bottom of the green section.

I would put any biological media last in the order of flow before returning to the tank.
so I guess the bottom of the green section.

Well, the last place it goes before returning to the tank is the blue section, but that's only about 3" deep. That's why I thought maybe right in front of that, in the green section, for more surface area since that is 9" deep. Could I do both? That still leaves half the green compartment for sponges and such.

Here is a thread about the uses of carbon. I can't validate any of this but it comes from a solid source off another well regarded site

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/does-carbon-remove-trace-elements.6980/#post-77856

My take on carbon is that it does have its uses and it may also adsorb many of the allelochemicals released by plants and algae? Needs citation. With regards to surface area, activated carbon provides this in abundance and contains probably more than most other forms of media. Definitely no harm in using it even in a planted tank but as mentioned it is by no means necessary to have a successful tank.

Hope this helps.

Here is a thread about the uses of carbon. I can't validate any of this but it comes from a solid source off another well regarded site

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/does-carbon-remove-trace-elements.6980/#post-77856

Okay...I read that forum thread and didn't learn much...the table the one person listed is useful though. :thumbup:

My take on carbon is that it does have its uses and it may also adsorb many of the allelochemicals released by plants and algae? Needs citation. With regards to surface area, activated carbon provides this in abundance and contains probably more than most other forms of media. Definitely no harm in using it even in a planted tank but as mentioned it is by no means necessary to have a successful tank.

Hope this helps.

Does that mean that the carbon houses much of the BB? Since it's been in there 2 months and may no longer be activated, would it be unnecessary to change it out now? I don't need the activated carbon, and I have plenty of extra for instances when I may need it...I just want to make this tank as natural as possible. And I'm still rather confused as to whether or not it's doing anything other than possibly housing BB...

Okay...I read that forum thread and didn't learn much...the table the one person listed is useful though. :thumbup:

Does that mean that the carbon houses much of the BB? Since it's been in there 2 months and may no longer be activated, would it be unnecessary to change it out now? I don't need the activated carbon, and I have plenty of extra for instances when I may need it...I just want to make this tank as natural as possible. And I'm still rather confused as to whether or not it's doing anything other than possibly housing BB...

It's probably filled now so it's chemical application may no longer apply. I'm not trying to confuse but offer advice as to why some others use it. I understand the natural aspect. Using carbon in a no co2 tank it's probably not a good idea as it will remove a sources of dissolved carbon that is very scarce in such tanks.

I run carbon in my tank. The water is clearer but I wouldn't really know if it has benefitted. I had lots of black beard algae in my low tech natural tank so I've made a few changes that has gotten rid of it but I can't attribute that to carbon alone but I do have theories as to why it would help but that's all they are.

The bacteria are everywhere. You may have a mini cycle if you remove it but probably not enough to cause problems, especially if you have plants.

Back
Top Bottom