Filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjrom1022

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10gal tank with an "AquaClear Power Filter 20 V". Its a great filter, so I decided to get it for my new 20gal tank. To speed up cycling, could I take half of my old filter media and put it in the new filter, then take half of the new media and put in in the old filter? Would this speed up the cycling? Will it "uncycle" my other tank? My 10 gal has one goldfish, and I've had it for about 9 months. There are no live plants, if that makes a difference. I'm still going to let the new tank cycle for 3-4 more weeks, but it would be nice if I could speed up the cycling. I hope this wasn't too confusing, and here is a picture of the filter (on amazon) IMG_2385.jpg

Taking some seeded media from an established filter and putting it in a new filter will most definitely speed up the process. I wouldn't take anymore than 1/3 of the media out of the established filter with maybe 1/4 of it working ok. Someone correct me here if you think otherwise. Even a handful of gravel in a media bag could help the process. I love my aquaclear 70 on the 29 gallon tank. I will be purchasing an aquaclear 20 for my 10 gallon most likely. Are you going to be doing a fishless cycle with ammonia or a fish in cycle?

Taking some seeded media from an established filter and putting it in a new filter will most definitely speed up the process. I wouldn't take anymore than 1/3 of the media out of the established filter with maybe 1/4 of it working ok. Someone correct me here if you think otherwise. Even a handful of gravel in a media bag could help the process. I love my aquaclear 70 on the 29 gallon tank. I will be purchasing an aquaclear 20 for my 10 gallon most likely. Are you going to be doing a fishless cycle with ammonia or a fish in cycle?

Ok great, Ill only take out 1/4 of the media. And I'm doing a fish less cycle, and I'm ghost feeding about every other day.

Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride is what I have been using for my fishless cycle. It has worked out great so far. Others have used janitorial strength ammonia from Ace Hardware. It just can not have any type of surfactants or detergents in it. Ghost feeding can release a lot of phosphates in your tank and it may lead to an odor in the water over time. Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride is really user friendly to use. I will post a link below to Dr Tim's. Just a thought I figured a would share. It also may take some time for the food to break down into ammonia

http://store.drtimsaquatics.com/Ammonium-Chloride-Solution-for-Fishless-Cycling_p_190.html

Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride is what I have been using for my fishless cycle. It has worked out great so far. Others have used janitorial strength ammonia from Ace Hardware. It just can not have any type of surfactants or detergents in it. Ghost feeding can release a lot of phosphates in your tank and it may lead to an odor in the water over time. Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride is really user friendly to use. I will post a link below to Dr Tim's. Just a thought I figured a would share. It also may take some time for the food to break down into ammonia

http://store.drtimsaquatics.com/Ammonium-Chloride-Solution-for-Fishless-Cycling_p_190.html

oh wow, thank you! great to know. I will definitely look into it!

Not a problem at all. Glad to be able to help. Just post up if you have any questions or issues

I would take the media from the new filter, put it in the old tank somewhere, give it a week or so, and then put it in the new filter in the new tank. That way you don't have to worry about removing bb from your established tank.

Back
Top Bottom