Filter output seems too strong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickeybags

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,
I have recently stocked my ten gallon aquarium with dwarf gouramis and blood fin tetras. I read that gouramis hangout at the top of the water column but they are hanging out on the bottom of the tank. I think it might just be because they are still adjusting to the new environment. Every time I walk by the dart away and hide.

I know for a fact the output is too strong for the tetras because every time they swim it they get pushed back down which they seem to enjoy. I was wondering if this was alright for both species.

I have a Marineland ten gallon aquarium kit. I believe that the filter is a penguin whisper 100

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just because a fish is pushed when they go into the flow of the filter doesnt mean that the flow is too strong. I usually shoot for about 10x the tank volume per hour in flow which seems about perfect for most fish.

The thing id be more worried about is the gouramis being stocked together. They tend to be very territorial towards wach other and most likely you will run into aggression issues down the road when they grow a bit.

Did you cycle the tank before adding the fish?

If you do decide that the flow is too strong, you can damp it down with a "bottle baffle"

Am on my phone so tricky to post a link, just Google "aquarium bottle baffle" it works really well.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom