Filter pump maitanance (hob)?Updated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm still using the top fin 30 that came with with my 29g kit.I know its not the best but its what I've got right now.

The problem is its just not moving water like it was...not even close.I noticed the flow was down a little last time I did a water change.

Today its worse,maybe around 15% of the original capacity (cartridge removed).

Is there something I need to do to bring it back around?

Its been a long night and I'd rather not head out to get another right now,but I don't want to risk it stopping altogether.

Helps I say Helps I need.

Thanks as always,

Never used a top fin HOB, but on my aqua clears, a 90 twist on the pump will unseat it from the main plastic housing. from there, you pull the impeller out.

I clean the inside of the motor/pump with a q-tip and water, ditto for the impeller.
Since I happen to have some, I put a tiny drop of silicone lubricant on the motor shaft and then reinstall the impeller, and put it back on the main housing.

I know exactly what you are going through, heres what I did:

1. cleaned cartridges thoroughly

2. use brush kit to clean inlet tubing, you wouldn't belive how much gunk sticks to the walls that water doesn't get out!!!

3 clean impeller and housing

4. make sure the impeller housing sits flush with the filter body irtslef, I noticed mine won't sit right unless the impeller is in the right posistion

Follow the advice above on cleaning the filter. I clean out my hob filter about once a month. I remove the filter media and place it in a bucket of tank water, this prevents the media from drying out and keeps the beneficial bacteria alive during the cleaning. I then tank the whole filter over to the sink. I like to use the hottest water I can without burning myself. I then disassemble the filter into its parts. I then thoroughly clean each piece. I use a few different "tols" for this. 1st is a filter brush, looks like a big pipe cleaner, it came with my Emporer 400. I also utilize a toothbrush, sponge, q-tips and anything else I can find that will get into the little nooks of the filter. Just use running water, no need for any kind of soap or detergent. The reassemble the filter and put it back on the tank. Prime it with filter water, or newly prepared tank water, place the filter media back in and you are ready to go.

I also clean the heaters, powerheads, ph probe, thermometers and Co2 reactor as needed.

Thanks guys...

Well I did get it apart...nothing looked funny but I cleaned it up anyway.
I put it back together and wrapped up the water change.

A few minutes ago I noticed the level was lower then where I keep it and it seems the seal (motor/impeller) won't sit tight and a few gallons made it to the floor before I noticed.(Tried to seal it twice fwiw)

I'm not gonna trash the old one,but Ima gonna get a new one.

But right now I'm without filtration...with a bubble wand and the old cartridge in the tank.. and live plants.

All is good until later this evening I hope?

Update:
Well heres an update.

I went with the marineland 200 w/biowheel.

I'm a little concerned about the current it produces though..its really moving some water.

Anyway to ease back on the efficiency?

Also about the old hob...any tips on getting the old o ring to seal?I don't need it right now,but it would make a decent back up I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom