Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hulka9

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just set up my first tank, a 10 gallon. Im currently going thru the cycling period and understand that you need bacteria to grow on the filter. So my question is how does changing the filter work? Will it have to rebuild bacteria? I know I wont have to do it for a month but im just curious.

Once the tank is established, you don't want to change out the filter media. Just rinse and reuse. If you replace it completely, you will go through at least a "mini-cycle".

Welcome to AA! :)

You dont change the filter when you do a partial water chance say 10% you take the media (sponges,pads ect.) Out of the filter and gently squeeze them in the tank water that you have in the bucket. As for the water changes when you start stocking fish i would do 10% changes weekley. Do you have a test kit?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Cool thanks for the quick response. Thats what I was thinking but didnt understand why it would say to change the filter every 3-4 weeks on the instructions.

I do have a test kit. So far not much has been happening. Im on day 5 and ammonia is .5 nitrates and nitrates are both still 0

Also im doing fish in with 3 zebra danios. They look like they are doing fine.

They say that on the instructions so that you keep going back and buying there new sponges, you shouldent need to change them untill they are falling to pices.

Sounds like your on your way with your cycle. Any ideas on stock yet?

U should upgrade your filter if u have the one that came with ur tank. I had an aqueon quiet flow20 on my 10 gal (rated for up to 30 gal) and it worked great, even though I had to slightly modify the tank lid for it to fit. If u get a larger filter than one that would be rated for your tank it will keep the tank much cleaner and healthier! U should do it before ur tank is cycled to let the new filter grow bacteria and so u won't go through a mini cycle down the road. By the way welcome to the forum!

True but id let your current filter cycle then run a new one in after your tank is cycled so you dont loose any progress

I did upgrade my filter to a penguin 150 rated for a 30 gallon. Im not sure what fish I want yet other than i want an oil catfish. Im open to suggestions!

hv4y.jpg

Back
Top Bottom