Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mar23

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am trying to decide on a filter for my new 60 gallon tank. I have already decided to go with Aquaclear. My question is, would you do one AC 110, or two AC 50? I'm doing a bit of overkill on the filtration because I need the tank to be low maintenance, as we travel often and I spend the summers abroad (it won't be set up this summer, but I'm planning ahead). Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Good filtration isn't really a substitute for good maintenance. That said, I would go with two ac 50s for the sole purpose of having two flow outlets to help give more equal flow. Its hard to get water moving much in a deep tank.

For reference I have a 60 as well and run an aqueon 70 and marineland penguin 350. That's 750 gph between the two.

I would do 3 ac50's for better water movement and no dead spots. Also the 50's are much quieter than the 70's or 110's. That will put you at 10x turn over an hour. 2nd option for hob's would be 2 70's or 110's. If this is a standard community these combos would be good. If you are doing something like an Oscar then I would add a canister on top of the hob's.

Good filtration isn't really a substitute for good maintenance. That said, I would go with two ac 50s for the sole purpose of having two flow outlets to help give more equal flow. Its hard to get water moving much in a deep tank.

For reference I have a 60 as well and run an aqueon 70 and marineland penguin 350. That's 750 gph between the two.

That's what I was thinking. It would be a more even filtration.

I would do 3 ac50's for better water movement and no dead spots. Also the 50's are much quieter than the 70's or 110's. That will put you at 10x turn over an hour. 2nd option for hob's would be 2 70's or 110's. If this is a standard community these combos would be good. If you are doing something like an Oscar then I would add a canister on top of the hob's.

I don't think I have room for 3 filters in the back. This will be a standard community tank with mostly tiny fish. I think I will go with 2 50's.

Thanks for the responses!

I don't think I have room for 3 filters in the back. This will be a standard community tank with mostly tiny fish. I think I will go with 2 50's.

Thanks for the responses!

My bad. I assumed this was the 48" 60 gallon. Sorry I didn't realise it could be the 36" one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My bad. I assumed this was the 48" 60 gallon. Sorry I didn't realise it could be the 36" one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is the 48". But it has two separate light hoods. Each one has room for only one HOB. The middle section between the two hoods has a center brace. Can't put a filter there. So, maybe go with the 2 70's then?

This is the 48". But it has two separate light hoods. Each one has room for only one HOB. The middle section between the two hoods has a center brace. Can't put a filter there. So, maybe go with the 2 70's then?

I have 3 ac50's on a 55 so they should fit unless the plastic hood prevents it. The 50 is much smaller than the 70 or the 110. The ac50 is only 7 1/4 inches wide.

Also if you are just doing smaller tropical the ac70 and 110 are quite strong May be too much turbulence for them.

Also if you are just doing smaller tropical the ac70 and 110 are quite strong May be too much turbulence for them.

Ok. That's why I thought the 50's would be better. I want plenty of filtration, but not so much that my little fish will be thrown around. I'm planning on fancy guppies, cherry barbs, danios and angels.

Should I cover the intake with a pantyhose? I am going to have live plants.

Hi, I have an mini Aqueon QuietFlow Internal Filter for m 3 gallon tank. Is that a good filter? Any other sugggestions? How often should I change the filter? Some people say 1-3 months.

Hi, I have an mini Aqueon QuietFlow Internal Filter for m 3 gallon tank. Is that a good filter? Any other sugggestions? How often should I change the filter? Some people say 1-3 months.

You may want to start your own thread so as not to disrupt this one. I'll briefly answer and say that its probably sufficient for your size tank. I wouldn't change the filter media itself at all. Just rinse it in used tank water once a month. You can cut into the filter and empty the old carbon and replace it with new carbon every 30-40 days.
If your interested in an upgrade the top fin 10 hang on back filter will sit on the outside of the aquarium. It doesn't produce a huge amount of current and will take up less space in the tank.

Oh ok. I'm sorry. I didn't know if it would be considered a duplicate thread.

Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom