Filter question during cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

picture_117

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just got my AquaClear filter in the mail.
It's going to go on my 20 gallon which is near the end of a fishless cycle. How would I go about doing that and do I leave the old filter in.
Also I'm going to use the filter that's currently on the 20 gallon in a new 10 gallon that I just got.
What's the best plan for this switch around?

You can run both filters at the same time for a couple weeks or you can take the media from the old filter and add it to the new filter and media for a couple weeks to give the new media time to seed.

Would I be able to..
Add the filter that's currently in the 20 gallon into the new 10 gallon, put the new AquaClear filter in the 20 and use media from the old filter? Would this mess up the cycle in any way?

Run your new filter on your 20 along with the filter that is on the 20 now for a few weeks. The new filter will be colonized with bacteria. Then take the original filter and put it on your new tank. When you make the switch, test both tanks for ammonia and nitrite for a few days just to be sure there is no spikes. A lot of people pre-colonize filters for future use.

Back
Top Bottom