Filter question not sure here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mysticalkitten

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a hanging filter that came with my 55gallon tank it was a kit when I bought it. I keep seeing canister filters on line. What are they and how are they used? My dad wants to build one like that I think he said it would filter bigger stuff out of the water and help the other filter too. Do I really need all that and won't the flow be too much? I have mine set up with the filter on one side and a bubbler tube half the tank with the other side with nothing since if the fish want a calmer side they have too and the fish who like to ride the flow or the bubbles can. I have three fancy tails gold fish one is big the other two are small and whiter lobster/crayfish who's still on the small side is see to the big ones I seen and a placo who's large, and a log and rock caves. Starting to add live plants.

Tank Filtration

I have a hanging filter that came with my 55gallon tank it was a kit when I bought it. I keep seeing canister filters on line. What are they and how are they used? My dad wants to build one like that I think he said it would filter bigger stuff out of the water and help the other filter too. Do I really need all that and won't the flow be too much? I have mine set up with the filter on one side and a bubbler tube half the tank with the other side with nothing since if the fish want a calmer side they have too and the fish who like to ride the flow or the bubbles can. I have three fancy tails gold fish one is big the other two are small and whiter lobster/crayfish who's still on the small side is see to the big ones I seen and a placo who's large, and a log and rock caves. Starting to add live plants.

Hello Mys...

Filtration devices can't keep the tank water clean. They move the surface water around to keep oxygen mixed into the water and that's all. You can do the same job by just removing and replacing most of the tank water every few days and investing in a couple of dual sponge filters and a good air pump to keep the surface water moving. The large, frequent water changes remove toxins, aerated the water and this keeps the fish healthy. This is all you need.

B

Mys, Canister filters are very good filters, but are expensive, fairly difficult to clean, and often times leak if not maintained properly. B's tank maintenence advice IMO is the very best advice
Given on AA and is the same philosophy I use. If you like "hob" filters, I use Aqua Clear 110's, which are more or less glorified sponge filters, as the majority of the filter basket is filled with an oversized sponge.

Although there is no substitute for the water change we need to start thinking about filtration in terms of biological turnover of harmful nitrogenous wastes.

Canister filters can harbour a vast majority of suitable microorganisms that do just that. There are some good models for a decent price (Sunsun), can leak but rarely do, and can go weeks until cleaning is due.

Although canisters have a finite amount of oxygen which could be a potential problem during large periods without flow through, live plants help keep them oxygenated and also turn no3 in to plant mass therefore, good filtration (and flow), coupled with live plants and a decent water change routine makes for a very healthy tank.

Mys, Canister filters are very good filters, but are expensive, fairly difficult to clean, and often times leak if not maintained properly. B's tank maintenence advice IMO is the very best advice
Given on AA and is the same philosophy I use. If you like "hob" filters, I use Aqua Clear 110's, which are more or less glorified sponge filters, as the majority of the filter basket is filled with an oversized sponge.

Hi Mys, I agree with all of the advice given thus far. I have 2 fancy goldfish in a 54 gallon corner tank. I would also recommend the Aqua Clear 110 HOB for you, with perhaps an air powered sponge filter for backup. You could run the AC 110 on the opposite side of the tank (away from your current HOB).
I wanted to use the ACl 110 on my tank, because I had a good experience with an HOB on my smaller tank. Unfortunately, due to the design of my tank, I can't fit a large HOB unless I leave my tank completely uncovered.
I currently run an Eheim 4+350 canister on my tank, as well as 2 air powered sponge filters. Please note: Even with a canister, I still change 40% of my tank water 2x/week to keep my nitrate levels below 20ppm.

Canister filters come with a learning curve. I'm learning more about them as I go.
For example: I recently had a power outage while I was sleeping. (The power strip was inadvertently unplugged.) I later learned that I might have risked poisoning my fish with anaerobic bacteria and/or ammonia when I restarted the canister. Amazingly, I did not lose my cycle, and my fish eventually recovered from the stress. Since then, I've installed battery back up air pumps on one of my sponge filters. And after much research, I've concluded that during an extended outage (>1-2 hours) I will need to open up the canister, add the biological media to my tank, and run an air line beneath the media...I would much prefer to deal with an HOB filter during a power outage.
(However, if you have a power generator at home, you may be able to avoid this problem altogether.)

The good news is that the Eheim canister seems really solid. I was lucky enough to find it on sale at PetSmart, so I think I made a good investment. But it is still cost 2x what you would pay for a large HOB. There are less expensive canisters, but if your dad can build a canister for you, that could be the best deal yet. (And it would probably be sturdier than an HOB.)

Mys, you asked about the water flow. It sounds like you have a well planned environment for your fish. My goldies have not had any issues with the flow being too strong. However, my canister came with a spray bar.
If your dad builds a canister for you, ask him to include a spray bar, which will spread out the clean water output so the flow is not so powerful. (Or you can look for a spray bar to add to most canister filters.)

Good luck, and have fun with your tank!

Last edited:
Thanks every one. So far I do water changes twice a month and my water is testing really good. And when I do gravel vac I get every nook and inch of the tank. I'll be slowly adding plants even those the fish guy at the store said it's a waste with goldfish. I don't think so or care. I think they would love to have plants in there home added to the caves and log they have. Still reading up on canisters and filters

YouTube helped me get over my hesitation to going with a canister. It demystified how they work and set up.

Back
Top Bottom