Filter recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattRB

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I'm inheriting an @40 gallon hex shaped tank that my father in law used to use and I'm trying to figure out what kind of filter I should be looking for. He had an old canister filter you had to pack charcoal and cotton into and I was hoping to switch to a side hanging type for less trouble.

I'm thinking I should be looking for one that can handle up to 50 gallons, but I also was wondering if being that my tank is 25" deep if I need to worry about the length of the suction tube inside the tank reaching closer to the bottom. I feel like most of the filters I've seen reach more like 12 inches into the tank, is that something to worry about?

Any advice would be appreciated.

For HOB (hang on back) filters, I prefer the Fluval AquaClear series. An AC 70 might work in that tank. I'm thinking the the next model down (50) might be underpowered and the next model up (110) might be too much.
One thing to keep in mind with any HOB filter is the length of the tank rim. With standard tanks this should not be an issue. But with hex tanks, the length of the straight portions of the rim needs to be factored into the filter selection.

I would use a canister in a 25" deep hex tank. Many of them have extensions you can by for the intake to drop it down even lower if you want that.

I think an hob is going to be tough due to the size of the sides in a hex tank.

Lastly, I always get something rated for a tank much bigger because most ratings are pretty questionable.

That being said, what kind of fish are you planning to keep? You need to consider their flow requirements as well.

I did a quick check of the AquaClear 70 and it looks like it measures 8.5" across and I have 12" on each side. I can possibly use the cannister filter I already have I just don't know anything about them and would prolly need new hoses at least because it's probably 30 years old lol.

We're gonna be setting it up in the living room for the family so it will most likely be a school of neons and some other smaller tropical freshwater community fish.

If you want to do an HOB I would seriously consider the new seachem tidal line. I lot of flow plus self priming is a huge feature for me. I have lost way to many aquaclears to power outages.

I think the A.C. 70 would be a good fit for your tank. They are quiet once broken in and very easy to maintain.
Canister filters are usually even more quiet and some probably filter better than HOB's but they are a lot harder to clean and the possibility of leak is greater.

If you want to do an HOB I would seriously consider the new seachem tidal line. I lot of flow plus self priming is a huge feature for me. I have lost way to many aquaclears to power outages.
Not even on my radar. It looks excellent on paper. I'm ordering a 110 now for my 75..

I guess I should get the tank washed out and check the filter I have already and see what it looks like before I go out and buy something. I can already feel my wife rolling her eyes at me at the idea of waiting for the tank to cycle lol.

So this is the filter that I have already, the cord looks chewed on too so that's a plus lol

Attachments

• 20170727_201253.jpg
    20170727_201253.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 32
An eheim 2211. Probably will work fine.

They just have to be hand packed so cleaning them is kind of a pain.

You shouldn't need charcoal but put some bio-media, a little foam or other mechanical media and some cheap filter floss and you should be good.

I definitely love my ehiem canisters for my tanks.
Though, I hated my 2217 because intake is directly at the bottom of the can and needs to be primed as you close it. So I got a 2228 for 25$. Lady said it was leaking, so I replaced the rubber seal and its been working for the past 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom