Filter recommendations for a 20 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've set up and cycled a 20 gallon tank, just looking for suggestions of a good brand/type of filter to use?
This is my first 'serious' tank, only ever had little tanks as a kid.
Thanks in advance :)

Go with Aquaclear. It's a very respected brand. The Aquaclear 50 would do fantastic on your tank.

I like queit flow. Topfin is a little noisey but aquaclear is great too^ . How did you do your cycle without a filter? Don't tell me you used the start-up! :)

Aquaclears are good filters as are aqueons. What type of fish do you plan on keeping? Do you cycle your tank with fish or are you using an ammonia source?

Aquaclears are good filters as are aqueons. What type of fish do you plan on keeping? Do you cycle your tank with fish or are you using an ammonia source?

Thanks. I'm not really sure about what kind of fish I'll get yet.. maybe guppies and a few others. Any suggestions?
I didn't cycle with fish, everyone told me it was cruel so I just used fish food..

ellie said:
It took 6-7 weeks. I put the food in an old stocking so it wouldn't go everywhere :). mush less messy

Cool. I'm glad it worked for you. :) Just make sure you stock slowly, a few fish at a time.
What filter did you decide on?
What fish are you interested in?
You could have a nice school of something, a small centre piece fish and a school of bottom feeders.
Is it a 20g tall or long?

Thanks :). Yeah I will, read heaps of stories about people putting too many fish in too quickly.
I actually haven't got one yet, been way too busy to go get one!! Next week I should be able to.
I like the look of guppies, and maybe one or two angelfish.. would they go together alright?
It's a long tank.

Guppies will work well but angel fish won't. Sorry. They need taller tanks and more gallons. IMO for one you need at least a 29g.
Where you wanting fry from your guppies? If you do the male:female ratio is 1:2-3 to stop the males bullying the females. If you don't want fry you can have all males.

Aw ok, oh well. What other fish would you recommend?
I might try breeding them, that could be interesting. I had guppies when I was a kid and accidentally bred them!

ellie said:
Aw ok, oh well. What other fish would you recommend?
I might try breeding them, that could be interesting. I had guppies when I was a kid and accidentally bred them!

All you need to breed guppies is to add water! Lol. They breed like rabbits so make sure you have somewhere to sell or give away the fry too. There are many small species of tetras, rasboras and dainos that will work in a 20g. CP fish could be a dwarf gourami, Molly, platys, a Betta (depending on personality an other tank mates) or (in a quiet tank) something like a trio of sparkling gouramis.
I like to suggest you have a look around your LFS and see what fish you like then come home and research them. :)

Yeah that's what I remember- they bred al the time! Thanks a lot for your advice. I aready have a few betta's in other tanks, one is pretty fiesty but the other two are ok, I'll see how they go in with other fish..

Back
Top Bottom