Filter Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfool58

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys! I have a Marineland 330 biowheel on a 75 gal tank! will that be enough filtration for about 20 cichlids? Tank is well suited for the cichlids. Will be getting them from sizes, 3/4inch-1inch. If it isn't going to be enough, are Hob filters or canister filters better? I've always used Hob filters but If canisters work great, I think id like to try one. Also which filter from either type the best of the best & will help my tank with proper filtration.

That filter has been discontinued so I'm not sure the exact specs on it but I think it's 330 GPH which isn't quiet enough for a 75 gal IMO. When it comes to HOBs it's recommended you have a GPH of about 6-8 times the volume of your tank so for a 75 gallon you would want at least 450 GPH more is ideal.

As for the canister versus HOB, canisters are generally seen as better. They are more expensive but from what I hear it's worth the cost. With a canister I believe you want your GPH to be roughly 5 times the volume of your tank though I'm not 100% on this.

A favored brand among the board members is Aqueon. Again higher on the price range though. I've also heard great things about Fluval. I'm currently running biowheels though so I can't speak from experience on these brands i just knwo I've heard many great things about them

I think the majority of people here prefer aquaclears...

Link119 said:
I think the majority of people here prefer aquaclears...

+1. I prefer aquaclears. They're hit or miss though IME. Some are kinda noisy while others are dead silent. They allow for a variety of customization when it comes to media as well.

Well if I bought anything it would be off Amazon.. & the 330 is 330 GPH.. What If I was to add an aquaclear110? That's 400 GPH. or should i just invest in a canister? So far the cichlids will only be about 1 inch max.. so they shouldn't over load my bioload..

fishfool58 said:
Well if I bought anything it would be off Amazon.. & the 330 is 330 GPH.. What If I was to add an aquaclear110? That's 400 GPH. or should i just invest in a canister? So far the cichlids will only be about 1 inch max.. so they shouldn't over load my bioload..

They won't overload your bio load for now. But as they grow they will begin to because most cichlids are gonna grow considerably depending on which ones you have. Rule of thumb is 1 inch of grown fish per gallon. The marineland emporer 400 I would also be an HOB to consider. Think its rated for a 90 gallon tank with a flow rate of 400 gph. I try to overfilter by 50% but thats me. Canisters would be good if you wanted to add a variety of media. Good luck with your cichlid tank :)

I'd go bigger then the aquaclear 10 personally. Just saves you cash in the long run because you won't need to upgrade. I mean for now you can run the 330 on it's own, that's no big deal just know you will need an upgrade in the future as they grow. The canister is up to you. Some people feel they are a must for bigger tanks but if you don't want to spend that much money the HOBs will do fine.

tamtam said:
I'd go bigger then the aquaclear 10 personally. Just saves you cash in the long run because you won't need to upgrade. I mean for now you can run the 330 on it's own, that's no big deal just know you will need an upgrade in the future as they grow. The canister is up to you. Some people feel they are a must for bigger tanks but if you don't want to spend that much money the HOBs will do fine.

Well I was gonna add the aquaclear along with the biowheel 330.. I'm getting 5 of each, Mainganos, red zebras, Haras, & yellow labs.. I know they will grow pretty quick.. & if canisters are better.. I would look more into them..

I can't really say cichlids filtration needs. I really do not know a whole lot about them.. there is a forum here for cichlids that you may find helpful. To me I think it would be fine but I certainly can't say

tamtam said:
I can't really say cichlids filtration needs. I really do not know a whole lot about them.. there is a forum here for cichlids that you may find helpful. To me I think it would be fine but I certainly can't say

Yeah, I'll start one on there, my main reason for this was just to see what people were using these days.. Way back when I first had fish, I don't remember canisters at all,
Take it I was like 12... But this tank I got from my grandmother, she was gonna use it for salt water, but bummer her knee & lost her job so.. She gave it too me cause she wanted too see it with fish.. & I just have doubts about the filter being good enough..

Back
Top Bottom