Filter swap a good idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RileyK

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there!

I have a 10 gallon tank and a new 20 gallon tank. My fish are tetras and a small Pleco (I have a large tank for him in storage, once the time comes.) To cycle the new tank I moved a couple cups of gravel and the filter from the 10g to the new tank. I know cycling is a process, so I put the new 20g filter on my 10g tank, where the fish currently are (didn't want them waiting around in an un-filtered environment.)

I am going to test the water tomorrow and see where my levels are.

I was wondering if the filter swap was a good idea? Should I put both filters on the new tank in a couple days? And then move everyone over? I'm unsure of how long a fish-less, old media cycle takes in a new tank.

I was told to leave the old filter on the new tank for a few weeks. While having the new filter running as well.

If you're only moving over the inhabitants of the 10g, then you can go ahead and do so. Cycling is a process, as you said... however, that process has already been completed in the 10g, and the majority of the bacteria needed to process ammonia and nitrite will be housed in that filter. I'd just go ahead and move them, while keeping an eye on ammonia and nitrite, prepared to do a water change if things get wonky.

I've fully stocked brand new tanks immediately by pulling over a filter from another tank with no ill effects FWIW.

OK. To make double sure I'm going to leave the new filter on the old tank over night, move it to the new tank tomorrow, leave it for a few hours, than move my fish over. The old filter has been on the new tank since this a.m. By tmw evening, I think things will be good to go (both filters will be on new tank too.)

Move the fish the same time as the cycled filter. You are moving the bacteria colony to the new tank so they will be able to process ammonia (and nitrite) in that tank straight away.

Thank you! All is well, tested water with Master Kit today. Will keep checking every couple days:)

Back
Top Bottom