filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is best to be over filterd. But o yhink most people will go with 4 time the size of your tank and up. Also takr in consideration your tank to small with big filtetet will cause to much current.

Tank size, stocking and water change schedule are all factors to consider when choosing filtration. An overstocked cichlid or goldfish tank will require hefty filtration (minimum of 10x the tank size) with regular big water changes while a single betta in a 10g would do better without a strong current. Keep in mind most filters over rate themselves- what you need to consider is the 'gph' (gallons per hour) of a filter not what it 'says' its for (ie, a 90g tank). Hope this helps! :)

so for a 90g communitty tank (stock not decided yet) what filter would you recommend

That should be perfect IMO, but everyone on here will have their own opinion as well. But I would use that if I were you

My opinion, and only my opinion is that on big tanks, you use more than one filter.

Yes one large filter would work on a 90 or 125 or such, but two or three somewhat smaller filters would be great too.

You'll get greater coverage with the intake tubes (three places to pick up debris instead of one), you'll get more biological filtration (you can even make one filter just biological with a prefilter) and if one pump dies in the middle of the night, you aren't stuck with zero filtration until you can get it fixed or buy a new one.

On big tanks, having backups just makes sense to me.

I even run two filters on my 55 just to get good coverage.

the magnum comes with another filter, but it does not specify what type of filter it is

the magnum comes with another filter, but it does not specify what type of filter it is

The 350 Magnum usually comes with a media cartridge that you can refill and a polishing cartridge that you can put in in place of the media cartridge for water polishing.

Sometimes you can buy them with the bio wheel set up, which sits at the discharge end and runs off some of the main discharge water.

There usually is no second pump or filter unit.

animalzrok2 said:

Are you referring to the new catalog from the doctors? I saw that too. That one comes with a 60 gallon biowheel pro. Definitely worth the money IMO

The magnums have been available with optional bio wheels since at least the early 90s.

Back
Top Bottom