Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2006, 11:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

filters for 55 gal tank & how do I clean acrylic tank

I just purchased a used 55 gal acrylic tank that came with a magnum 350 filter. should that filter be enough to keep the tank clean or should I add an underground filter with power heads aswell?

also the tank has a film of some sort on the inside, what would be the best way to clean this off?

Thanks
Jim

Old 08-13-2006, 01:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

You do not want to use an undergravel filter. These filters are notorious for "going bad"--that is, getting waste stuck under them and causing ammonia spikes that can kill your fish--and so require very diligent upkeep. Even a well-kept tank with an undergravel filter needs to be broken down once a year so that underneath the filter can be cleaned. It's really not a viable filter.

A Magnum 350 is, from what I have heard, a fairly decent cannister filter. The only thing I'd be concerned is that it might not be enough for a 55 gallon. However, if you are not heavily stocked and clean regularly, it should be alright. If you still want a second filter, though, you could always get a second cannister filter (or even just upgrade to a higher-rated one) or get a HOB filter to supplement the one you have.

As far as cleaning the film, you can buy magnetic scrubbers than work well on acrylic tanks, or even use a toothbrush to scrub off the difficult stuff. Most film will wipe away fairly easily, though.

Old 08-13-2006, 01:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think a toothbrush might scratch acrylic, so if I were you I would go with the scrubber pads that are made specifically for acrylic tanks.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

On review, you're the owner of the goldfish, correct? Goldfish produce far more waste than other fish, and this means that my advice pertaining to a light bio-load is not applicable here. With goldfish, you want well over the minimum in filtration, and the Magnum 350 is not going to provide what you need. I'd recommend looking into getting a different filter entirely for your tank--one without a Bio-wheel, as well, since those are unnecessary and can get stuck, killing off lots of nitrifying bacteria--such as the Rena XP3, which is another good canister filter.

Tags
55 gallon, acrylic, clean, filter, filters, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com