Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The4888

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, sorry but I,m new to fish & Forums,
I have a ' love fish' prism 30 L tank & keep 2 comets,
There were no instructions regarding the filter setup & maintenance so I' m worried that they may not be getting the correct filtration.
As it stands, a large amount of water pulled through the filter is running straight over the media & back into the tank. I have tried turning the flow rate down to ensure that all the water passes through the media but am worried that the fish will not be getting enough oxygen. I have scraped & rinsed the cartridge in tank water during water but am worried about killing the bacteria as it has only just established

Depends how the filter is set up. If the outflow of the filter is agitating the water surface that should be enough.

Also if your biofiltration has just now established, leave it alone for a month. If you cant resist cleaning it, then gentle swishes through a bucket of your tank water is enough. Dont go scrubbing. It needs time to settle and to lock in the bio colonies.It's better to keep the general tank clean in the meantime.

Comet goldfish start small but grow to be quite large. Out to 35cm or so. About 14inches. Two of them in a 30 litre tank will outgrow it. I can see you needing a much larger tank in the future!

Cheers Britty, already thinking about a larger tank. Just need to know I can manage the basics first.

Back
Top Bottom