Filtration Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monaro_gto

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im running a 29g tank with a Top Fin 30 cartridge filter where the tank is cycled. I have read that changing my cartridge out will cause my tank to recycle which makes sense. So my questions are as follows

Do you need to change the cartridge out every month?
I hear if you dont the Carbon can cause problems.

If I wanted to remove the cartridge and put regular media in with biomax how do I do that and avoid a cycle?

it may cause a mini cycle by replacing the whole thing all at once. You don't need to replace them as often as they say in the directions. Most of us here will rinse them till they fall apart with old tank water after a water change. The carbon isn't needed at all, I don't use it or have any. In the filter it will remove things but after so long they just release it back into the tank. It wouldn't hurt anything if anything at all it will grow bacteria on it to help control water perimeters. What I would do if your going to replace it is stuff it on the top of the filter for a couple weeks. you can even cut it down into small pieces. Before that rinse it out in old tank water.

good luck

So the carbon in an old pad isnt harmful it just isnt doing anything? If thats the case and it isnt falling apart could put in a second larger filter system, say a aqua clear 50 and run that in parallel for 2 weeks then just remove the top fin? Can you have too much filtration?

So the carbon in an old pad isnt harmful it just isnt doing anything? If thats the case and it isnt falling apart could put in a second larger filter system, say a aqua clear 50 and run that in parallel for 2 weeks then just remove the top fin? Can you have too much filtration?

Never to much well as long as the current isn't to strong. But that is ideal

Good Advise thats exactly what i did except for 6 weeks and it worked perfectly and you can set up the aquaclear to only trickle out slowly so it doesnt screwing up the current

It is very hard to have too much filtration. Some fish don't like much current (bettas, some gourami, anabantids in general), so that could be a problem, but it won't kill them unless they are already ill, but it can stress them out, which can lead to disease.

Back
Top Bottom