Fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazybori

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My betta have fin rot. Can someone tell me for how long i have to change the water of my tank?

I have taken the water to a pet store to be tested and everything is fine so ive been told. Ive done amonia testing at home and its 0. Ive been doing a water change every night and in the morning its cloudy again. Do i need to treat the water with some sort of fin rot medication? Right now after each water change i put some api stress coat

The setup i have is an aqeoun 3 mini tank with 3 bettas and they all seem to be showing signs of fin rot. I was told they could also be biting their own tails.

Three male bettas in a 2.5 gallon tank? Is there any kind of divider?

If there is no divider, then your bettas are biting each other's tails.

Either way, there's more fish than that kit can handle.

The cloudiness is probably a bacterial bloom. It's pretty common with new tanks. You're most likely cycling.

Three male bettas in a 2.5 gallon tank? Is there any kind of divider?

If there is no divider, then your bettas are biting each other's tails.

Either way, there's more fish than that kit can handle.

The cloudiness is probably a bacterial bloom. It's pretty common with new tanks. You're most likely cycling.

IMG_2588.jpg
They are divided.

Ah. I was looking at the mini bow tanks.

Alright. Your tank is cycling, which means that the beneficial bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrites and finally nitrates is developing. In that time, ammonia (and then nitrite) levels may become so high that they cause physical harm to the fish. Water changes at this point are the only way to control excess nitrogens.

You want to do water changes daily until the fins are better.

I highly recommend getting a test kit so you can check your own water parameters. If you have water checked at a store, look at the actual results yourself. Your ammonia and nitrite levels need to be zero. Until they are zero, you should be doing daily water changes.

It's very difficult to keep small tanks stable. Minor changes have big impacts. Right now there are three very stressed out fish creating all kinds of ammonia for each other.

Is that the Aqueon Betta Falls tank?

They are really not appropriate for keeping bettas (not your fault, somehow companies are still getting away with teeny tanks for bettas).

A betta should have an absolute minimum of 2.5 gallons, and preferably 5g.
Per fish.

The Betta Falls tank is three separate compartments of around 0.5g each, and another gallon in the base for filtration.
So, yes, it's a 2.5g tank, but each fish has barely room to move.

It will be difficult to sustain water quality in this tank, and you Betta will be stressed and miserable.
If the tank alone doesn't perpetually cause fin rot, the stress will most likely cause him to keep nipping his own tail.

I want to said thanks guys for take time and explain me all about my tank,definitely i will move to a 3.5 tank each.

Or bigger tank yet, without reading your post.. Could you do a betta sorority? If they're all females, haven't done this myself but others have and I believe in bigger tanks for bettas. How would you like to live in a closet. Lol
Just my personal opinion, I'm not a betta person, my fish breed like rabbits. (livebearers)

To me it's all about keeping what you like and are able to. But bigger tanks are easier to maintain water quality, and provide higher standard of living for your pets.

Back
Top Bottom